Windshield Garnish Molding

Does the windshield garnish molding on a late '30's Buick serve any water sealing purposes or are they purely for cosmetics?<BR>And, is there any special technique to reinstall a garnish molding after windshield glass replacement? Thank you for any information.

I think that they are cosmetic only. The rubber seal is what makes the screen weatherproof.<BR>As for installing, I have not re-installed mine, but it would have to de done very carefully to stop scratching the dash.<BR>Anyone got any good methods of re-installing ?

"Fisher Body Service Manual" for 1939 models, page 78: Step 1: "On the inside of the body, apply painter's masking tape along the top edge of the instrument panel adjacent to the windshield garnish molding to prevent marring the finish".<P>I would probably also then tape a layer of thin but sturdy cardboard over the tape job for added protection, since the windshield garnish molding has a tendency to "spring" (sometimes rather wildly) before being fully installed. You don't want to wreck your woodgraining. It's easier with a helper. I've also heard of rubbing the screw threads against a bar of soap before installing, makes them glide better and is neater than spray lube running all over the dash. Hope this helps!<BR>Randy<BR>BCA #9592 smile.gif" border="0

When reinstalling your garnish molding be sure to use the same screws or new screws of the same length. After restoring the moldings for a friend's car, he used new longer stainless screws. After reinstalling the moldings his wife discovered holes punctured through the body around the front and back windows areas - after the car was completely restored! Ouch! shocked.gif" border="0

Those moldings are functioning the same as later model clips holding the glass in the body. The windows are pressed to the body from the inside with those moldings holding them in place.