84 LaSabre Limited

Mark Huston

I have inherited a 1984 Buick LaSabre Limited 2dr with the 5.0 8 cylinder engine. My father bought this car new and passed it on to me this past summer. This is my first Buick. What I would like to know is in 1984 was the 5.0 engine a Buick engine, and what is the back ground on this engine? Is it a "real" Buick engine or a Chevy 350 or some other GM engine (I don't know what a 5.0 translates to in cubic inches). Sorry if this sound to elementary but if you ask me about 1929 Studebakers I can tell you just about everything, ask me about 1980's Buicks and I have no clue. I really enjoy driving this big Buick, what I hate is trying to park it in these little parking spaces they have now and trying to get these long doors open far enough to get out! rolleyes.gif" border="0

Guest Shaffer

GM made two 5.0 liter V-8. A 305 V-8 and the 307 V-8. The 307 V-8 of the 80s to 1990 is a Oldsmobile engine. The Buick Lesabres in that year era had the Oldsmobile 307 V8, so your engine is the 307 V-8 - same engine as in many early 80s to 1990 GM full-size wagons. My 1989 Pontiac Safari has the 5.0L 307 Olds V-8. The engines are weak in the wagons, as the wagons are so heavy. I once owned a 1983 Oldsmobile 98 Regency with the 307 V-8 - was not as slow. Good luck. I just got my first Buick as well back in April. <P>Tony<P>1972 Buick Electra 225 Custom 4-door hardtop<BR>1989 Pontiac Safari 4dr 3-seat wagon<BR>1991 Honda Accord LX 4-door sedan

My 84 Lesabre with the Olds eng. was 14 yrs old when I sold it with 177000 mi. The oil never dropped below the full mark and I never had to touch the engine.still had the original AC charge, alt.,starter, etc. The windows,door locks,seats and every thing else worked.Best car I ever had.