Sign in to follow this  
MikeWilliamsUK

Zephyr in UK magazine

The British magazine "Classic and Sports Car" is to feature a Zephyr coupe in its next (March) issue - due out in the UK on 5th Feb. It looks to be dark blue and right hand drive. Anyone on the list know whose it is?

Mike

Hi Mike, I guess we've never met in this small country of ours, the car to be featured is indeed my 39 coupe, 1 of 18 RHD coupes manufactured in 1939, (see attachment) the car came from Australia, previously owned by Jeff Reidy, the car know lives in Wakefield,West Yorkshire.

Julian Balme has put together the feature due to be in C&S febuary edition, the car was photographed on a very wet day in the coastal town of Scarborough, with lots of deco' background. Rather than a feature on the car, I believe the text to be more on how the Zephyr helped to get Lincoln back on track in the 30's.

Let me know about your car Mike, I'd be very intersted.

Cheers Pete.......

PS. Ace, thanks for the compliment.

That's a great shot of your car, Pete! I am of the opinion that '39 was the pinnacle of the "art deco" Lincoln Zephyrs. Do you have any more pictures of your car that you can share? I'd certainly like to see more and I suspect that I'm not the only one, since the chances of any of us on this side of the pond seeing the magazine article are pretty slim.

If you get a chance, you might like to check out my '39 convertible at: http://community.webshots.com/album/73152974bRlXIf

Pete,

My apologies. We have met, though I didn't catch your name at the time. I took photos of your engine at Knebworth last year - introduced by Colin Spong. My car will feature in the LZOC magazine soon, though its hardly photogenic at the moment with no paint, no interior at all, no hood. But at least I now have an engine in place!

I look forward to seeing the magazine.

Mike

Mike, I now remember you, Colin introduces me to so many people it's hard to keep track, I'll look out for the pictures of your car within the LZOC mag with interest, and if I'm ever your neck of the woods' I'll try and call in.

Phil, I've attached a few more photos of the car, I only have a few on digital (all taken on the same night) most are on film so not yet in the computer. As for the magazine, I know it is available in the states, Jeff, the previous owner has checked up & he's able to obtain it down in Australia, so hopefully you should be able to find a copy. If not, let me know, I could always post you one. I took a look at your 39 drophead-very nice!

Cheers, Pete....

Thank you Pete and Phil for your links to your photos. As a seldom contributer to this web site, a quiet observer from the sidelines, I just want to say how much your photos and captions are appreciated, especially the before and after shots. I followed all your links, looked at all your photos. I realize the time you have put into documenting your efforts and than finding the time to make them available on the web. They are an inspiration and great resource material for the task that sits in my garage.

Thanks for your kind words, Keith. I can't take any credit for the transformation of the stripped shell to the car as it is today. I've been trying to track its travels from New Mexico to California, to Minnesota, to Oregon, to New York, and finally, to Texas. That car has spent a LOT of time being transported around the country! I hope to be able to correct some of the incorrect items and bring the restoration farther along (they're NEVER finished).

By the way, today I found the "Classic and Sports Car" magazine at a local news-stand. Now I just have to wait for the March issue to appear.

Pete,

The car is super. Interesting story and found the whole magazine a facinating read. I also really like your driving wear. Maybe I need to give some thought to looking a bit classier when I am behind the wheel of my LZ.

Ace

Sorry to disappoint you Ace, but thats not me in the photo, I'm some what younger for a start. The guy in the photo is the writer of the article, Julian Balme, who incidently races an early 50's Lincoln & mid 60's Ford Falcon in various forms of historic motorsport, as well as writing for classic & sportscar, and being a big fan of the Lincoln Zephyr.

Although younger & possibly better looking', I'm afraid I can't compete with the dress code!

I'm pleased you liked the feature. [color:\\"blue\\"]