locker rearend

ricko

Just talk to a guy here in oregon that has a locker rearend add on for lincolns from 40-48. ever run into this one before? to be honest with you I had to look up what and how a locker rearend works. by the way its for sale.

He also has 2 front doors for a 42 zephyr also for sale, are they interchangable with a continental. my book is a chassis book and does not show doors. ricko

Hi again Ricko, the doors are easy, absolutely no, Zephyr doors are totally different than Continentals, the locker rearends were used in the old days for drag racing, because the power is transmitted equally to both wheels, and is supposed to be more efficient, the draw back is that you lose the inherent differential provided by your spider gears, and turning corners with a locker is really hard, late models solve the problem with the limited slip differentials that will give a little in corners, but for a street Lincoln, believe I would pass on the locker, Rolf

Thx rolf i bow to the knowledge to pass on to young grass hopper.So your saying it probably wont get my 2 ton lincoln 0 to 60 in under 5 seconds and if it did i would'nt be able to turn it into the winners circle and yes i'm a smart alec.

thx ricko

ps this guy has 2 lincolns on e-bay.

Guest imported_V12Bill

Ricko, I believe to make a locker out of any rear, all you have to do is weld the spider gears to their shafts. I too would not recommend a locker for a street car. If you need parts to rebuild your rear it could be a good buy.

Doors are different in length, height, shape and hinges. Not even close!!!!

Bill

Funny you should say that Rick, I remember watching a 1941 3 window coupe, with a very modified V-12 turn 104 MPH in the 1/4 mile at Pomona Drag strip in 1954, didn't even have a locked rear end, but was bored out to 3 1/16 std Ford bore, with wet sleeves, a virtual Ford and a half, really impressed this 20 year old I will tell you, Gil Younger, the owner had "Drain Oil Special" written on the trunk lid as it made that run, great irony, hope the Lincolns on E-bay are great bargains, and everybody will be overjoyed with the transactions, Rolf