Skylark to GS conversion. Need for speed!!

Hello all,

I'm in the final stages of creating a 72 GS350 Clone, but the stock engine seems like a toyota compared to my new Yukon. I want to keep it stock, but I need more punch. I already upgraded to the 4 brl carb. Short of a complete overhaul, what would help the most?

Change the 2.56 rear (which was recently rebuilt), to a 3.08 (which I think was stock on the GS)?

Headers? Duel exhaust?

Any other options? What are the pro's and con's of these options? Is it worth the change for a marginal power increase?

Help my get out of the sloooow lane, while maintaining a numbers matching classic.

Thanks

Joe

If I wanted to keep the 350, I would install a 3.42 or 3.64 posi, and a 200-4R tranny. This would give you a big boost in acceleration, and not hurt the fuel economy at all. This would probably be the biggest bang for your bucks. If you leave the engine stock, headers will noy help you much over a dual exhaust system with the manifolds. If you REALLY want to go fast, you can install a 455,as they were available in your car.

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Guest John Chapman

Surf,

I've been told that the T/A intake for the 350 will really wake the engine up. That with a solid state ignition, the 200R4 and better gearing should make it really snappy. Only the most knowlegeable will see the difference.

Cheers,

John