National Awards

Dave Zimmerman

As AACA Vice President, maybe I can address some of your concerns about National Awards.The National Awards committee consists of 22 very dedicated and knowledgeable judges.The dedication shows when at a National meet we may each have as many as 70 vehicles to observe for award consideration.The awards committee work at each National meet,and tour.

In the year 2003 we nominated 414 vehicles out of approx. 5000 vehicles shown at these events. In total there are 60 permanent National Awards,some are divisional, which means multiple winners. some are service awards for individuals, regions ,website editors,etc. In 2003 we have 59 vehicles winning awards,14 individuals or regions winning awards.

We make these nominations all year long, and in December we meet and make the selections. The selection process involves slides provided by the nominees and the scores the vehicle has achieved are also considered. Hope this helps you with a better understanding of the function of your AACA committee.

Thanks to Howard Scotland for his help with the explanation of our function,Howard served many years on National Awards. If I can be of further service please contact me.

Dave Zimmerman

Vice President, National Awards

Thanks David smile.gif

That's all I was looking for. I think this DF is just another method to REACH the membership and potential membership., and we had better use it if the club is to have forward progress IMHO. The fact that you were able to take time from your day and post a comment will go a long way, at least it does in my books.

Thank you

Mike Crown

Mike, I tried to send you a private message but could not. I just wanted to thank you for the above post. Your recognition of our Director's busy lives was important. These men and woman donate a lot of time so that our club can enjoy the great fellowship we have in AACA. I am sure Dave appreciates your post!

For my part, I pledge that the staff at HQ will do their best to respond to concerns brought forth on our website. It is our duty.

Speaking of duty, don't take me to the woodshed but the article on the GTO is not in the next issue but IT IS COMING! Hopefully, we helped the writer in obtaining the additional period photos he needed to finish the article. Now if we could just get you interested in an early car to go along with your muscle cars we would be doing great! If you had experienced a ride in 4th gear in a 1911 Olds Limited with 702 cubes you would realize we had muscle cars way back when! grin.gif

Seriously, thanks for the post.

I have to agree with you on this one Mike.That is a fine Post by Dave Zimmerman.

It would be even better if they where to Post each year how many vechiles were nominated out of approx. vechiles shown.Like Dave spelled it out. Because there's alot of people that read the Post's and don't respond.

I believe someone called them Lurker's. LoL

I for one was naive about a National Award.

When I was approached at Carlisle and told that I was nominated for a National Award I didn't understand what was going down.

I asked several people about what a National Award was and they had no idea of what I was talking about.

So a Post like Dave's really put's thing's into perspective.

This is my .02 cent's worth.

Later Rich

Hi, Keith...

Nominees will receive a "Dear John" letter, or, a "Congratulations" letter.

To echo what other folks have posted, it is quite an honor just to be nominated (Win or Not). When you consider there are roughly 5,000 cars per year at National events, about 360 +/- receive nominations, and, about 59 win.

Regards, Peter.

A friend and myself both recieved nominations this year, it was the second time for both of us. He was notified about a week ago he made it, and I havent heard anything. So I suspect it takes a little time to produce the "Dear John" certificate. It is quite an honor to be nominated. It really blew me away to recieve the nomination.

greg

Congrats Greg! on the nomination and the win for your friend smile.gif

So tell us, what are these cars that got nominated?? and as far as you not hearing anything yet...remember, this time of year, the US Postal Service is swamped with mail, and there is no rhyme to reason as to how things get from point A to point B...you may still hear good news smile.gif

My friends car is a '61 Volkswagen Transporter. It is green and cream color. He bought it as a low milage vehicle, less than 30K miles about 8 years ago and restored it. Had no rust at all, and was un-touched, dont find that in to many Ohio vehicles. Super nice, I would say one of the best, and correct in the US, very deserving of the nomination and award.

My car is a '56 Beetle. It is a Coral Red, European model. I drove it and collected parts for about ten years before I took it apart. It took me seven years to do it and the Hershey Fall meet in 2002 was its first AACA show. I did most of the work myself, that makes it even more flattering to be nominated.

greg

Guest imported_Matt M, PA

Hello all...as a newbie on this site, I was glad to see a thread about the National Awards. It was something that I did not quite understand either.

I was nominated twice with a past car (Plymouth Superbird) but never actually won. I also don't remember receiving any certificates for being nominated, but my memory may be a bit sketchy about that.

This year, my '72 Plymouth Scamp was nominated, so I too am waiting to hear the news. My Grandmother bought the car new, gave it to me in '92, and we finally restored it. I was only able to attend one AACA event since it's completion..and that was Hershey 2003.

Guest greg72monte

Oh well, better luck next year......

Special thanks go out to the National Awards Committee. I know they have a difficult task!

I received a very nice certificate from Dave Zimmerman noting my nomination for a National Award, and a letter stating that there were 182 cars nominated out of 5000 vehicles shown this year. That in itself is quite an honor.

I will try again next year as you will see me at the Eastern Spring Meet in Maryland in 2004, and also in Hershey. I am fortunate that I am within reasonable driving distance to these meets, as I must drive my car there.

I never thought that I could compete with trailered cars.

With a growing family, there is no trailer in my future just yet.

I have just completed my first year as an AACA member, and I have acomplished more than I ever dreamed of.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year to all!!!

Just getting nominated is a tast in itself with all the great vehicles at the AACA shows. My 55 Pontiac was nominated a few years back for the Grand National meet award however it lost to a a 55 or 56 Imperial of which I told my friends that this car was the best car I have ever seen. The following year I spoke to one of the national award judges and he said I came in a close second. I told him if I had to lose I really don't feel that bad because this was a excellect car.

It does help to have your car at more national shows to get more exposure but that is hard to do for the working guy. The nomination certificate is a honor considering the number of quality cars in a given year.

My blue '39 Buick sidemounted sedan was nominated for best restoration in 1981, but didn't make it, and I received nothing. I wrote a letter thanking the chairman and stating it was such an honor to even be nominated that it would be nice to have a letter that effect. The same car was nominated again in 1994 or 1995 as the best car on the Scranton Founders Tour and again failed to make it, but this time I did receive a nice letter. And yes, it was and is a great honor just to be nominated.