Your car a star?????

Aanderson44

Johnny Lightning Division of Playing Mantis Inc., is a major producer of quality replica diecast miniature cars in 1:64 scale. We are well known for our faithful and accurately molded diecast cars, painted in authentic colors, with appropriate and accurate badges & scripts.

Johnny Lightning produces several on-going programs which use photocards of the actual car being produced. In these programs, we replicate, as accurately as possible, the car depicted in the color photograph collector's card included in the package.

The most popular of these cars are those whose pictures are taken, and provided by car owners themselves. We call this program: Your Car Is The Star.

Simply described, YCITS offers you, the car owner, the opportunity to supply color pictures of your taking, of your pride & joy. If the image is one that we can use, you will be contacted by our legal staff for the appropriate releases, and to arrange for you to receive an allocation of 12 examples of your car once produced by us. In addition, YCITS contributors whose pictures are selected are eligible to purchase further quantities of the models of their car at a very substantial discount from retail. Many YCITS participants tell us they have used the models of their car that they have purchased in this manner as gifts, some have used them as "fundraisers" to further their hobby. Almost everyone we've talked to tells us how much they enjoy being able to display a replica, made of THEIR car, when they go to shows as well.

Currently, we are looking for color images, either in prints, or digital images (preferably 300dpi or higher in resolution) of the following:

1959 DeSoto Fireflite 4dr hardtop or 4dr sedan

1967 Plymouth GTX 2dr hardtop

1967 Fairlane 2dr hardtop

1962 Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr hardtop (have red and white cars already, but what about yours?)

1967 Chevelle 2dr hardtop (Super Sport would be nice!)

1968 GTO hardtop

1969 Shelby GT350 or GT500 convertible

1955 Chevrolet 150, 210 or Bel Air 2dr sedan (we can trim this one as any

trim level)

1969 Camaro Convertible (baseline, Z-28, Rallye Sport or Super Sport, top up

or top down)

1968 Dodge Dart 2dr hardtop (any V8 car)

1971 Pontiac Grand Prix

For more detailed information on how your car can be a Star, check out our website at www.playingmantis.com and open up the Johnny Lightning page, then look for Your Car Is The Star.

Thanks!

Art Anderson

Product Development

Johnny Lightning smile.gif

Art,

One car that is sadly missing any quality models of is the Amphicar (yes, I am biased). There is an OK 1/43 available from Germany ... sometimes, but nothing of any size or quality. With all the new amphibious cars, motorhomes and such comming out, it would be a hit!

My car is always a "star" when ever I go out in it. Just getting fuel takes me an hour sometimes because of the people it always draws. Please contact me with the specs for the pics you would like to see. My car is displayed below too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i checked your site and noticed you did not have one packard listed. would you be interested in packard pics, i currently own a very nice 1952 200 deluxe touring sedan. i also have a 3mp digital camera and am no stranger to taking pics "see my website stampsandstuff"

</div></div>

You know, I'd sure like it if we did a Packard or two, but unfortunately those decisions aren't mine to make.

Art

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Art,

One car that is sadly missing any quality models of is the Amphicar (yes, I am biased). There is an OK 1/43 available from Germany ... sometimes, but nothing of any size or quality. With all the new amphibious cars, motorhomes and such comming out, it would be a hit!

Yes,

I am certain that whenever people see your Amphicar it does attract a lot of attention. Unfortunately, it's not one that has come up on our radar screen to this point.

Art Anderson

My car is always a "star" when ever I go out in it. Just getting fuel takes me an hour sometimes because of the people it always draws. Please contact me with the specs for the pics you would like to see. My car is displayed below too. </div></div>

I sent pics of my 66 Chevelle Super Sport some time ago...never heard anything, then recently was e-mailed asking me to send them again b/c of a computer crash or something?? But have still not heard anything further...should one just assume that not hearing something, means they didn't like the car or the pictures? or is it just normally take a LONG time to hear if they will use the photos?

Thanks

Mike Crown

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sent pics of my 66 Chevelle Super Sport some time ago...never heard anything, then recently was e-mailed asking me to send them again b/c of a computer crash or something?? But have still not heard anything further...should one just assume that not hearing something, means they didn't like the car or the pictures? or is it just normally take a LONG time to hear if they will use the photos?

Mike,

Not sure exactly what went down with the pics of your car, but likely we do have them, if you re-sent them.

The person with whom you were corresponding here at Playing Mantis is no longer with us, and likely didn't follow up as he might have. We have a new person filling that role, and all of us are working to get things like this back on track.

Please email me off the boards, so I can get the particulars of your images, and let you know the status.

Art Anderson smile.gif

Thanks

Mike Crown </div></div>

Hi! I have noticed a lack in the models of 1947 Cadillacs...they are all convertibles (with one exception in a sedanette made in England). Would you be interested in a 1947 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan (6269) in blue ? It would make a handsome model and I think, with detail on the interior (soft dove grey seats and wood grain on the dash andwindow sills and trim) it would be a hit! smile.gif

I can't help but plug my baby! I call him the Flying Dutchman.

Randall,

I have found that these companies seem to have tunnel vision when it comes to suggesting a car for thier line. Especially Franklin mint. They will flat out (almost rudely) tell you that they do not take suggestions from outside. Danbury mint just ignores you all together. I read this as the customer's opinions have no value. It is not just with the Amphicar, but many other folks I have spoken with who made similar suggestions. The only Amphicar model ever produced (in Germany) sold out quickly and then rose in price to over $300+!

With all the hype over all the new amphibious vehicles, the Amphicar is getting more and more press. See Jan, 2004 Popular Mechanics for some of them.

Don't get your hopes up fellas. frown.gif Outfits like these just use you. They prey on your ego and vanity and I doubt that if they ever did use your car they would even provide you with a "thank you" model. frown.gif

Oh Howard, no disrespect but I have had great experiences with such things as this...my cars have been used in books, calendars, adds, other various related activities and I have always been given a Thank you, a free copy or two of whatever the product was, and overall, been very happy. Maybe I have been lucky, but overall I find it fun and if it doesn't happen, I don't lose any sleep over it. I am sure these companies get more crap than anything when it comes to receiving Photos and good examples that they can use, probably get hundred upon hundreds of submissions and it would not be possible to ever send Thank you's to everyone who submitted...though one would expect a thank you and a free copy if they used your submission.

anyway... sorry for my rant smile.gif Everyone have a great HOLIDAY!

Mike

Fair enough, Mike. smile.gif Let us know if you ever get that e-mail address.

My comments on the prior post were based on personal experience and that of friends, not merely idle criticism. Been there and experienced that, firsthand.

hvs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't get your hopes up fellas. frown.gif Outfits like these just use you. They prey on your ego and vanity and I doubt that if they ever did use your car they would even provide you with a "thank you" model. frown.gif </div></div>

Howard,

Let me assure you, my proposal from Johnny Lightning is very legitimate! We've been able to utilize quite a few real cars through Your Car Is The Star, but of course, we can't promise to use each and every image that comes through. However, when we do use images of someone's car, we do honor that by an allotment of samples of the car we've done.

You may not be familiar with our various Photo-Card programs, but they have been extremely popular in the marketplace. Perhaps the best-known Johnny Lightning program is Classic Gold, which began in early 1999, going into its 5th year as a series. Classic Gold will see its 40th set of cars this coming summer, both in 6- and 12-car programs, every car accompanied by a photocard, showing that we do replicate, as closely as we can, the car in the image.

We know, of course, that many, many car restorers and enthusiasts out there wish we'd do a model of their favorite collectible car, but sadly, this isn't always possible. Our products go into the mass-retail marketplace, and unfortunately, this does preclude a lot of neat, but nonetheless "esoteric" cars being done by us, even other companies who do diecast miniatures.

Don't get me wrong, those of us here involved in product development are also "car people". Personally, I've restored several cars over the past 40 years, beginning with a pair of Model A Fords in the late 1960's, and a 1958 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery in 1996-99. Additionally, I've been a 1:25 scale car modeler for more than 50 years, having started building model cars in 1952.

My area of interest is primarily American cars, 1900-present, but I really prefer the antique and classic cars. I hope this helps to establish some credibility, both for myself, and Johnny Lightning.

For a quick look at some of the cars I've built, here's a Fotki site:

web page

Regards,

Art Anderson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi! I have noticed a lack in the models of 1947 Cadillacs...they are all convertibles (with one exception in a sedanette made in England). Would you be interested in a 1947 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan (6269) in blue ? It would make a handsome model and I think, with detail on the interior (soft dove grey seats and wood grain on the dash andwindow sills and trim) it would be a hit! smile.gif

I can't help but plug my baby! I call him the Flying Dutchman.

Randall,

Check around for 1947 Cadillacs a bit further! Welly, a maker of both 1:18 and 1:27 (odd scale) has done the '47 Cadillac convertible. I've seen both scales in numerous stores over the past couple of years.

Art Anderson

</div></div>

Is this "allotment of samples" free to the owner of the car modeled? Kind of reminds me of those "Who's Who in (fill in your own category)" directories where everyone is listed who agrees to purchase a copy. But then I do tend to be the cynical type. Are there any "fees" involved if I allow you to use my vehicle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this "allotment of samples" free to the owner of the car modeled? Kind of reminds me of those "Who's Who in (fill in your own category)" directories where everyone is listed who agrees to purchase a copy. But then I do tend to be the cynical type. Are there any "fees" involved if I allow you to use my vehicle? </div></div>

But of course, when Johnny Lightning uses a car owner's own images of his/her car, the allotment of samples is free of any charge to that individual! We do make it possible, in advance of production, for the car owner in question to purchase additional quantities of that model, at a very hefty discount off the retail price that stores generally charge for it as well. As for fees? We don't charge any fees, and the initial allotment of cars provided is in payment for the use of the photograph.

Art

I know Jerry Kier from the Genesee Valley Chapter has a 1/43rd scale piece made of his Studebaker pickup. I want to say that was done through White Rose Collectibles (Matchbox) and if I remember right, I was thinking that he was given a diecast version of his Studebaker pickup in the same color as his truck.

Bill, can you or one of the other GVACS members answer this?

I think if anyone was willing to do a diecast version of one of the vehicles in our collection, I'd buy it. But I know that Jerry could answer this.