Chrome Plating Vendors

BuickNut

Hi...I was just wondering about some of the bigger houses (CARS, Bumper Boyz, "those good ol boys in Texas" ..... for example) or those that sell mucho Buick parts, and how good, in general, their chrome/rechromed parts have been ? Also, I was wondering if anybody had suggestions for chroming/plating vendors in the Midwest (particularly around either Detroit, Toledo, Cleveland, Columbus...). I have about 2-4 cars worth of parts I will eventually replace, or get rechromed, so I would like to go to somebody reputible. My vehicles are going to be driven - so while I'm not looking for show quality, I do want good stuff that I won't be paying and arm and a leg for. Thanks.

I ordered a 71 skylark bumper from the bumper boyz and they said it would take 4 weeks min. A week later I recieved the bumper and was very happy until I opened it up. I thought to myself what the hell are these three little holes above the license plate area.Eventually I realized they had without telling me sent a 72 bumper.Sent it back and dealt with bull for two months before i got the right one. Have not used the new bumper yet but people tell me the chrome is crap and peels off after a year.Wish i had known this before. So <BR>overall I would suggest another vendor.Has anyone had any experience with desert dog auto parts?

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Buicknut,<P>I have had The Finishing Touch from Chicago do 3 of my cars. 1953 Roadmaster, 1955 Roadmaster and 1959 Olds SS-88.<P>I highly recommend them. The only do one type of work. Show quality. They are honest.<P>They care about what the work looks like when it is done.<P>The guaranty their work and have been around for about 10 years.<P>They have done a bunch of work for members of the Chicagoland Chapter, and I even had them out to one of our meetings as a guest speaker. Discounts to club members, and they advertise in our newsletter.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.thefinishingtouchinc.com" TARGET=_blank>www.thefinishingtouchinc.com</A> 800-403-4545<BR>Ask for Mark, or his wife Susie.<P>Good people.<P>Scott Mich BCA #6619<BR>Assistant Director<BR>Chicagoland Chapter<BR>1955-76C<BR>1959 Olds SS-88

Paul's Chrome in PA did a great job on my 1951 Buick Special. They did everything from the hood ornament(s) to the rear taillight bezels. Excellent Work!<P>I moved to MN and found NorthStar Bumpers to do my bumpers. My bumpers were pretty rough but turned out AMAZING!<BR>Call 411 to get the numbers or drop me an email if you are interested.<P>Oh, I too have heard nothing but poor reports about the Bumper Boyz.<P><BR>Paul Wilkens<BR>pwilkens@herc.com

Question about chroming.Has any one ever had pitted pot metal parts filled and chromed?Items like headlight bezels,door handles, ect. Do they really have any luck doing this or does it just look fine so long as it never sees rain?<P>What would be the expected cost of a huge mid 70's size bumper be.

To 86 2dr LTD:<BR> Yes you can get pitted potmetal parts rechromed. BUT.......and its a big but...<BR> Make sure you find a reputable plater. Ask to see his work or find someone that has had pitted potmetal work done by the individual. Ask what the surface will look like when he is done plating it. To some platers a few pits are acceptable but to you it may not be.<BR> It is a very time consuming effort and a lot of platers wont do it. Some specialize in it and you pay for it, but you get a good part back. <BR> If you would like to see on a small scale what goes into plating pitted potmetal parts check out this link.<BR> I just do it on a small scale.<BR> <A HREF="http://members.home.net/oldies1955/web/plating_tour.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://members.home.net/oldies1955/web/plating_tour.htm</A> <P> Good luck<BR>Tom H. grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0 <---funny looking!

I have seen some rechromed bumpers through "CARS" that will work on one of my cars....has anybody done any business with them concerning rechromes parts, with any success......rumors, tales from friends, etc ?<P>Thanks. I think I'll try some of the suggested vendors mentioned for the other cars needing chrome work if I can't find either NOS or good rechromed parts.....<P>Other vendor suggestions - any near Detroit or Toledo or Cleveland ?<P>Thanks.

BUMPER BOYZ SUCKS!<P>First, they impress you at the major shows with their "big rig" chock full of bumpers, giving you the impression that they are not only a "supermarket", but they are also experts on every American car ever built. Don't forget their "five-day turnaround" promise, either.<P>Then, if you're lucky, you'll receive your bumpers back at your doorstep about a month later, wrapped in used grocery carton fragments held together with cheap packaging tape. No box, no bubble wrap, nothing to protect it if it should see an accidental puddle, much less a concrete loading dock.<P>Then, the fun begins. Like a kid on Christmas morning, you open your bumper "package" only to find flaking chrome bits coming off in your hand.<P>Ahh, the return process. Call for authorization, place it back on your doorstep for RPS pickup "whenever", and wait another month.<P>Ding Dong, RPS back with your bumpers again. Christmas morning again. <P>"THESE AREN'T MY BUMPERS!!!!!" Too late, the driver's gone again, call for return tag again. Call Bumper Boyz office again, speak to someone who knows NOTHING about your car, and very little English besides.<P>Around and around and around...<P>It would make me sad to see anyone waste their hard-earned cash on a company with poor quality service and poor customer service. <P>Next time, I'll try Paul's (near Pittsburgh) who was recommended by my mechanic.<P>RB40Buick<BR>BCA#9592 mad.gif" border="0mad.gif" border="0mad.gif" border="0

Bumper Boyz are generally regarded as the by-far worst in the chroming industry. It's amazing their towering bad rep hasn't yet put them out of business. Beware of "The Bumper Shop" of CA; research them thoroughly-- my research indicates these 2 outfits are one & the same.

If You are looking for a Plating shop Give us a try. We have done several Buicks this year (48-57) We only do show chrome. Most of our work is out of the Seattle/Portland area. Because we are based out of Canada our pricing gets you a show chrome finish at a regular price. We are located 2 miles from the US border. Shipping is not a problem we have done work all over the US. Turn around time is not hindered as we have a US address. We can rebuild steel, potmetal and stainless. Which helps on the hard to find parts. Ninety percent of our plating business is cars so we don't do it as a sideline. We remove pits by welding potmetal on potmetal parts so there will be no problems in the future Guaranteed. We do carry lots of cores for Buicks if your parts are in rough shape.<BR>You will get a true triple plate. Acid copper/nickel/chrome<BR>Check us out at fvplating.com<P>pcdejong@uniserve.com<P>[ 10-20-2001: Message edited by: Peter de Jong ]<P>[ 10-20-2001: Message edited by: Peter de Jong ]<p>[ 10-20-2001: Message edited by: Peter de Jong ]

If dissatisfied with any of the chrome platers you have dealt with in the past, you might want to try our company. We are The Finishing Touch, Inc. We specialize in diecast restoration, custom chrome plating, stainless steel and aluminum trim restoration. All work is top show quality, satisfaction guaranteed. We are a detail, hand grinding shop specializing in all parts except full size bumpers. We provide a quad-chrome plating process, therefore, no pitts remaining in the parts as well as a life time warranty on plated pieces. Check out our web site at <A HREF="http://www.thefinishingtouchinc.com" TARGET=_blank>www.thefinishingtouchinc.com</A> or call (800) 403-4545, For any further questions, Chicago, IL., U.S.A.

Guest Skyking

I bought a rechromed rear bumper from Classic Buicks in Chino Ca. for my 62 Invicta 10 years ago and it is still like new. I've been caught in the rain plenty of times too. I also had my Skylark rear bumper plated at Tri-State in Tennessee. They also are very good.......

Here is the plater one of our club members used in Grafton ohio and was very satisfied.<BR>CUSTOM CHROME PLATING INC.<BR>963 MECHANIC ST.<BR>P.O. BOX 125<BR>GRAFTON, OHIO 44044<BR>440-926-3116<BR>Good luck Jim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Guest dhunter41

i also would add my recommendation to use the Finishing Touch in chicago. they just did a bunch of 1950 stuff for me, including bumpers. It's first rate work at reasonable prices and time to complete the job.<BR>Dave Hunter <BR>BCA 17383 dehunter41@aol.com

Cars, Inc is located in Neshanic Station, New Jersey. I have only bought some engine compartment stickers from them so far, but the experience was a good one. They put out a good catalog of parts they offer that has several computer print out pages in the back with a ton of NOS, NORS, and used parts they also have.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in New Jersey, and have visited CARS at least a dozen times. I don't think they do chrome plating in house. However, wherever they send parts out to, will do a good job. These guys make their living off of having a reputation. There is no gabage being sold through CARS. They are a great place to visit! It looks like an old, brick car dealership. Last time I was there, there was a 1940 Buick coupe in the showroom. It is very nostalgic. Just don't bring your wife. The area is very historic and the Flemington outlets are near by with lots of expensive things for her to buy!