Buick and those pesky young people

Guest wildcat65401

As I left the toll booth at the same time as some young guy in a BMW convert and proptly blew his doors off, it was nice to remind the younger crowd just because its old does not mean its slow. Also, just because its stock, does not mean its slow. I have also taken many people by surprise what a stock Buick can do, did I get their attention? You bet. Just my perspective. Part of the fun is waving to em in the rear view mirror with plenty of pedal left.

United Classics, a big welcome to the forum and thanks for your comments!

Some of Glenn's comments about vendors and similar people in the cars and parts business are pretty accurate. Unfortunately, we've seen situations over the years where a nice, pristine older vehicle was sold to a younger person and that particular younger person promptly started adding a killer sound system, different paint, and other things that basically destroyed the collectible value of the vehicle in the process. Naturally, the younger person was so excited about what he could do with that car, but we had to just stand back and say "It's his/her car now so we have not control over it" as we walked away with our head hung low. I know all younger people are not like that, but that stereotype does exist and that could well be why sometimes those of the "more vintage" hobbiests might make it a little harder to buy parts/vehicles we have. In our own somewhat misguided way, we just want the vehicles to see a good life in the future just as we might want our own children to prosper and do well. So, unfortunately, many can be just a little gunshy about selling a collector type or older, well preserved vehicle to someone that we feel might not fully understand what they have.

But younger people aren't the only ones that don't appreciate or care for a special vehicle either. An early 30s guy that used to work with us found a yellow '79 Trans Am for sale in a metroplex paper. He went to look at it and discovered it was a special ordered vehicle and was being sold by the wife of the original owner. Sounds great, so far. He was naturally excited and got the money together. He went to the trouble to do an oil change and such before he drove it for a test drive as it had been sitting a while. Then he bought it and trailered it to a tire shop and got some custom tires/wheels for it. Then he took it home. A great, low mileage, garage kept car.

Only problem was that he did not have a carport to put it under. Not usually a problem, but then it hailed one night--OUCH! Sure, the insurance paid a claim on it, but it never got fixed. Sure, he loved the car, but he did not have the necessary facilities to keep it in the condition in which he bought it. It was still what it was--a lower mileage factory muscle car of the time and still looked good at 75 feet, but it was also basically "dead meat" as it was hail damaged and needed a full repaint/redecal plus body work. Not financially justifiable at the present time and definitely would not bring the money it should if sold. So, it's not just the younger people that can degrade a nice, older car.

I understand your situation also. You want to participate and it seems that some of us won't let you or don't want you involved, and if you are involved, you'll "pay". Definitely a turn-off and motivation to go do something else or a better place to do it.

What I have observed is that to get "decent" prices on older vehicles, you have to get about a 90 minute drive away from the metro areas. These will be the typically smaller towns with the older cars in the garages of their original or second owners. Prices will be much more reasonable too. Here in Texas, there are several "Greensheet" or "Shopper" publications that cover these smaller town areas. Plus the metro newspapers. Many times, you can find something similar to a hot collector type car, but in a sedan or 4-door hardtop at a really good price. Even some of the used car lots in those towns can have some bargains too. Basically, what you're doing is getting outside of the "bubble" where everyone tries to get "two prices" for something THEY perceive is collectible just because it's old with fewer miles on it and is trying to make a cash cow out of the vehicle.

When you encounter these "more vintage" owners, you have to know how to deal with them. Many times, if you get to know them and such, over a period of time, the time invested can pay off if it's for a car you really want.

In the parts business, personally, if I find a younger person that's trying to get an older car fixed up (or a parent that's involved in the same project), I have NO qualms about selling to them at wholesale pricing if I can get what they need from GM or I'll try to refer them to a competent, reliable, and honest vendor if it's something we can't get anymore. I usually try to see what their orientations are on the project and go from there. Encouragement, help, and mentoring are things that we ALL can do in that respect without being judgmental of the owner and their orientations. Hopefully, the desire will be to keep things reasonably stock, but sometimes various well planned "enhancements" can be done tastefully too (as in "Day Two" restorations/preservations).

The comments about peer pressure being a determining factor about younger people having what they have for vehicles is accurate. Just depends on which crowd you want to run with or be a part of. Some might have said the same thing about everyone being attracted to Chevys or Fords in earlier decades too, as we went on a different path to Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Chryslers, Mercurys, etc. In those earlier times, it was the higher level car lines that had the "more substantial" motors, better materials, better designs, etc. than the more mundane vehicles (some of which were not too shabby themselves) AND also served as donor vehicles for powertrain items and other things to make the first street rods back in the 1950s.

Again, welcome and we look forward to your input in the future.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Thanks for makin me feel right at home in these forums. I completely understand about GM building a car that pertains to the liking of young people. Other than cadillacs, newer cars don't do anything for me. I'm the wrong type of person for a nice daily driver. Everytime i get enough money to buy one, i end up spending all my money to fund all my billions of projects, or buy another car. Honda's and such are at an affordable price to a certain extent, they're like the volkswagon beetle was back in the day, thats why they're more appealing to a younger crowd.

People with more of a financial freedom are pricing out old cars to extremely high prices, and thats not people like you most of the time. Its usually the rich people who are too lazy, or too busy to look for the part and hunt it down. Instead they fork over the bread to just buy it outright, cause it makes no difference to them. Kind of messed up in my opinion.

Like I said, I'm 19, and i've owned 46 cars. If someone is determined to get what they want, they will get it. Around where I live, its like window shopping, cause there are rides to be picked up left and right. Every once in a while you can find a deal. I was out looking for cars one day and found an assload of buicks, and other cars to be had for dirt cheap. Infact I ended up driving home an all original 1967 Electra 225 for, you ready? 200 bux, and it was a beautiful car. Naturally when you find a car you wanna learn all about it, so I did some research and I couldn't find anything, so I started looking around for similar Buicks, and they seriously started to grow on me. Before I found that car I've always had a line up of Impalas and Cadillacs. Buicks turned me on to a whole new world of cars. If you have a buddy that does a lot of Impala stuff you should give me a number where I can contact him, cause I'm working on finding all my options and accessories. What item did you lose on ebay? I know a ton of people who deal in extremely rare nos parts and used as well. I'm glad you go cruising, we have a group of hot rodders where we cruise at as well. Most are cool, but some are kind of bastards because my club consists of everything from lowriders, customs, stockers, hot rods, etc., you name it we've got it. Some don't appreciate lowriders as a car so they tend to talk [@!#!$] behind our backs and be nice up front. For example, for local shows they'll ask us to bring lowriders, but they took away all the lowrider awards, doesn't make much sense to me. So keep your cruising up because people like yourself are reasons guys like me have as many aspirations as I do. I'm not even that old and I'll drive around, infact the other day I drove past two kids walking along the road. One pointed at my car, did some kind of weird grunting deal, and had a loss for words.....it was funny I just chuckled to myself and thought haha got one. ---- "I've found out that there are more like you, who will privately confide that they can't stand imports, but have to go along with the trends or be alone ."---- I don't privatly confide that, I can't stand imports, I let it be known, they freakin suck.....

CENTURION, we usually have a variety of car shows we go to, including hot rod, lowrider, custom, etc. I am very greatful for you invitation and will run it by fellow memebers at the next meeting. Just keep in mind we have 2 finished cars out of about 30........ some w/hydraulics, some primer and wide whites.......variety........I notice that a lot of older people disrespect that, and some admire the work and effort put in, which is the way it should be. So with that in mind, if would still like to have us, I'll try to make it a plan. United Classics is always eager to meet new people, see new cars, and continue the passion for the hobby.

NTX5467 , I agree about young people buying extremely gorgeous unrestored cars and destroying them. Whenever I have to sell a car I'm extremely choosy on who I sell to. I've had friends offer more than I want for a car, but I won't sell it to only see my hardwork, and love for the car be ruined by ignorance and immaturity. Most do what to change paint, wheels, and install stereo stuff. Every car I build is always a factory colors of its year, its much more attractive to me. I'm not one to glam it up, defeats the whole principle of it for me. I buy a car cause I think its badass. Thats why I find it ammusing to see peolpe change a car to make it so they like it. Usually, the only changes I'll make, is I'll fully load the car to its factory specs, and maybe lower it.........thats about all....You should know a fully loaded car sells for sometimes almost double of what a non loaded would. I hate seeing anything that isn't stock floating around in a car. If you're going to put a sound system in there, fine. Hide the damn thing though. Face plates, skeakers, etc. are an eyesore. I wanna see old cars have a good home too, thats why my [censored] stays broke trying to save them all. ::laughs:: People think I'm crazy because I spend all my money buying cars and rare parts, but I never spend what they're worth, so in my eyes its just an investment. Besides it keeps me out of trouble..... wink.gif

thanks for makin me feel at home

Jessie

Man oh Man! This is some thread. Sometimes I wonder what all the fuss is about? I drove my 56 Super around town for a few weeks this summer, and lots of young drivers and others made positive comments. The group that seemed to not care was the 30 somethings, who probably wished I would move the old load out of the way of their BMW's.

I believe the real classic is in ones memory from High School days. That's most likely when you were last free from daily pressures and could really enjoy everything in life. For me that was 1965 to 1970. I certainly have a preference for the same year cars. But back then none of us thought any car of the day was destined to be a classic, and that includes the kids driving 442's, GS' Chevelles, AMx's and Mustangs. They all beat them to death, and today they could care less about them as well.

I got my first 56 when I was 21 as a matter of opportunity, and then my current one when I was 24. Over the years I thought about selling it numerous times. Now 29 years later, I wouldn't part with the car for a million dollars even though it has not really matured in terms of price. So what's the future hold for us Buick Owners?

I am sure that kids of today will always appreciate a real classic. There will be a market for our cars and interest in our favored Marquee. There will be people who want cars! Maybe todays cars will not be desired as classic material, but that will largley depend on what vehicles stand the test of time. No matter what car is developed, if the car does not run 20 years from now, people won't buy them. And, just like those of us who bought our cars for $75.00 29 years ago, kids of today will buy cars that stand the test of time when they can afford them, because that will be what's available.

All this being said, I do hope Buick comes out with a hot desireable Convertible soon, although I probably won't be able to afford it. And I'm not kicking the GS convertible, or the 56 out of the garage for it either.

JD1956

Jessie --

Thanks for your comments! From what I can see, your head is screwed on "right" and your heart is in the right place with regards to older cars. It would be nice to save all of them, but that's not really possible (although it makes you feel good to do what you can). Until things change, I'd say "Enjoy to the limit of your tolerance".

Take care and have a great holiday season!

NTX5467

oops. haven't posted i so long, i forgot how to do it.

i read this whole post thinking of a lot to say......but

dear general motors and buick,

i bought my last new buick in 1980. i got rid of it because you would not warranty a part. you told me you were only interested in selling units, nothing less. i approach you again wanting to buy a gn in 87 with some changes and i said i would pay for them. you told me to go away again.

well, since then i have bought cars other than buicks because they appreciate their customers. i have told you this many times and it still does not since into your head.

now , lets approach this from a different way. lets say you and i go to the stockholders of gm and tell this story. tell them how you can make lots of money for them by telling your customers we dont want their business. do you think this would work? do you think you would still have a job? tell me and the rest of us, we want to know.

so, if you want me as a customer, please, forget please, i demand you make me a buick that i want to buy!!!

signed

john

now, dont get me wrong after reading this. i am a diehard buick fan. been doing them for a long time. roberta will vouch for me and my history.

i just get really mad at them for not listening to all of us. AND, if i ran the company i would have a sore right foot from kicking them in the ass to get their attention to listen to THE CUSTOMER!!

wouldnt it be nice if gm and buick really read this thread and answered us all.

Here is what I'd like to see from Buick:

A 2 seat sports coupe or convertible with a mid or rear engine straight 8 mounted axially (across the frame), rear wheel and/or all wheel drive, for under $35,000. This would get my 37 year old blood pumping as the Buick line up as it exists today does nothing for me. And also, please GM, do not style it like the current crop of GM autos which look like the "Transformer" toys. Less sharp angles and edges and more curves make for a sexier look. This is male marketing 101.

My dream Buick's new straight 8 would feature:

1)aluminum block and head

2)"T" drive with a bevel gear output shaft placed in the middle of the crank

3)chain driven dual overhead cams

4)4 valves/cyl. with VVT

5)6 speed transmission w/opt. 6 speed automatic with manual mode

This engine could be used in many platforms such as front engine/front drive, front engine/rear drive, etc.

I am not asking for a supercar capable of 150 mph or 0-60 times of under 5 sec., but rather something unique and stylish without too much testosterone.