Sign in to follow this  
Skyking

1912 ALCO

There was an interesting car advertised in our local paper today. The ad read " Alco: 1912 Important Car. It was made in Providence Rhode Island, 7 passenger touring car.......asking price is $235,000...."

Does anyone have any information on this car? My father who is 90 years old remembers them as being a very big car.......

the following from http://home.att.net/~Berliner-Ultrasonics/automotv.html#alcocars

ALCO Automobiles

I had forgotten entirely that there once was an ALCO automobile. An article by Fred H. Deusch on the Senior Times Website about Rhode Island automobile manufacturers notes that the "best known company to manufacture automobiles in Rhode Island was the American Locomotive Company"! "Between 1905 and 1908 their car, built under license from a French company, was known as the American Berliet. By 1909, the company wanted to build its own bigger and better car. The new car was called the Alco. Both in 1909 and 1910, Harry Grant won the Vanderbilt Cup Race driving an Alco." Duh! I knew that! "The Alco was such a fine car that it took no less than 19 months to build each one. All kinds of body styles were available as well as chassis for custom coach builders. The engine in the Alco was huge. The four cylinder engine displaced 453 cubic inches while the 6 cylinder displaced 579 cubic inches." "By early 1900's standards, only the very wealthy could afford an Alco. An ALCO even won early Vanderbilt Cup races{*}. Prices ranged from $6,000 to $7,500. At the end of 1913, American Locomotive announced the end of auto production. Even though the company had gross earnings of $34 million, not one cent of profit came from its automobiles. In fact, the company lost an average of $460 on each of the 5,000 cars it built. Most of the loss on each car was not due to manufacturing costs. Any time a purchasing agent would come in to buy locomotives, the company would give him a car as an inducement to buy their locomotives. So they stopped producing cars and went back to building just locomotives." "JUST"?

* - Henry Fortune ("Harry") Grant, with mechanic Frank H. Lee, in the "Bête Noire" (Black Beast), won the 5th Cup race on 30 Oct 1909 at 62.81mph and the 6th on 01 Oct 1910 at 65.18mph.

see attachment

Sky, If it is the light blue one that was restored in the 1950's it was once here in Ridgefield, Connecticut. Henry Austin Clark found it and parted with it to the fellow who restored it. That is one great tour car!

There was a huge black Alco touring shown at the Meet in Laramie, Wyoming a couple of years back. Beautiful vehicle. It could be that car. ~ hvs

Was the American-built ALCO a stand-alone vehicle, or were they similar to their Bridgeport, Conn. neighbor Locomobile...from the description, this car sounds like something on the order of a Locomobile 48...

Frank

They were both high class vehicles, but more Locos were built than ALCOs. I just remembered, there was one in the Chocolate field at Hershey this year! Real nice older restoration, yellow with a red interior, bet that is the car that started this thread. I spent some time talking with the owner, the rear axle housing is a FORGING, know wonder they lost money manufacturing these cars! This was one great car that will make the new owner very happy.

I just called on this car, it is a cream color and it is located in Vermont. Apparently there is someone in R.I. trying to sell this car......

Thanks guys for all the info.........

Skyking ~ You could mount the Metropolitan as a spare should you buy the Alco.

smirk.gifsmile.gifgrin.gif ~hvs

I don't know Skyking, you better think it over! a quarter of a million here and a quarter of a million there, and pretty soon you're talking some real money! grin.gif

This car was at Hershey in the Choc Annex along the end row toward the main Chocolate field. It was formerly in the Sam Scher collection and I think it was in the Seal Cove (Paine) Museum after that.

I spent some time lusting over it during the meet. If only one had the power to move decimal points to the left- even one space.

Ouch!! too rich for my blood.....remember here, I'm in the process of restoring a Metropolitan, a poor mans car wink.gif I was just curious about this Alco. I never heard of one & never knew that a car was even built here in R.I. You sure learn alot on this forum...........!

The ALCO is the best and most famous car constructed in Rhode Island, but there were 22 other makes as well. Many were one off horseless carriages,gas, steam and electric powered.

37HD,

Makes sense that more Loco 48s were made; I believe that model was in production from c.1910 into the mid '20s, all with the huge T-head six.

I was sort of wondering if the Alco might've been designed by former Locomobile personnel, and how the cars compared...

Sounds like a research project for the Christmas holidays...

Sure is a beautiful looking car....(sigh)

smile.gif