need advice to get a car badge reproduced

29 Chandler

We recently found and purchased a Chandler 100,000 mile club member badge. According to factory literature there were thousands issued to Chandler owners that had driven their cars 100k miles. A pretty big feat in the 1920's!! As far my friends in the Chandler Club can tell this is the only one to survive. We would like to have reproductions made for our club members to purchase.

Can you recommend some one that can reproduce them?? The badge is made of brass, is flat with raised lettering. It has a blue enamel background and nickel plating on the rasied parts.

Thanks,

Chris

Check with your local service clubs ie:Kiwanis, Kinsman, Rotarian etc. Most of them get cloisonne badges done somewhere. The last time I did this it was from somewhere in Spain. the results were excellent.

Happy hobbying

Sounds like you have a one of a kind item. BE CAREFUL and make sure you are dealing with a reputable business. For instance, you might check to be sure that the business you are considering has not been banned from advertising in Hemmings or any of the various national and one make club magazines. You could also check the local BBB or sheriff where the business operates or even the State Attorney General's office in the state where a business operates. This might seem extreme but I have heard some horror stories and seen a rare cloisonne emblem that was "restored" beyond repair. Myself, I have used Pulfer and Williams and been completely satisfied. wink.gif

Thanks for the respone. I have now had three recomendations for Pulfer and Williams. They must do good work. But as I understand they would have to send the badge overseas. I am not too keen about letting it out of my sight for that long. I am trying to find a local source first and have been given a few leads that I need to follow up on.

Thanks for all the suggestions. See the attached picture of the badge.

In the past Pulfer and Williams was your best bet. I sent a badge to them and finally got it back 18 months later. It was excellent but that is a long time. They told me that the man that did their badge work was aging and has stopped that type of work, thus the "going overseas" for the effort. Sure would be great if some young hobbiest would learn the art and start a business for this support.

Chris, Thank you for posting the photo of the badge, I'd call this a plaque since it is flat and not a cast item. I had a small run of Lyndwood makers plates made years ago by a company that runs an ad in Antique Automobile, they also had a display at the Annual Meeting in Philadelphia. Sorry I can't locate their name right now, but the workmanship was excellent.

That is a pretty good image you have posted, I would think with accurate dimensions a badge maker could use that artwork to make a repro from without risking the original to any abuse.

Your limiting factor is amortising the cost over a relatively small audience of buyers. I have a friend who helped underwrite reproduction of the 1911 Cole radiator badges several years ago, he wanted one pretty bad and once available they all sold out fairly quick. It just took someone to step up and make the outlay to get the job underway. Stude8

29 Chandler,

I used Gary Konwinski at Quality Lapel Pins to make the attached Grill Badge for the Keystone Section of the Mercedes Benz Club. The orig. sample for my approval was made in Colorado, the mold was then sent over to China for the pile of them. I was VERY happy with them. Price too. About 3 months from start to shipping of finished Badges. E-mail at: gary@qualitylapelpins.com Hope this helps. Karl

• 15 years later...