Your first Car or Part Swap

1937hd45

Back in 1961 Dad had taken the floor mats out of the then new Ford to wash them. They were in the drive on a pair of saw horses drying when he left for work. Later in the day a friend came over on his bike and we went over to his house, I was 10 he was 12. Hanging on the wall in his garage was a flawless 1932 Ford gill incert. I asked if he wanted to sell or swap it, I'd built a few AMT models of '32 Fords and knew what it was even at 10. "I'll swap for the red floor mats in your drive." was his answer. This was too good a deal to let go by and bother aking if the swap was OK with Dad,I just did it. That nite at dinner Dad asked how my day was. I had to explain that the floor mats got swaped for the '32 grill incert. He smiled and said "I always wanted a '32 three window coupe." Turned out the mats I swaped were going to get tossed since he had bought four individual mats to do away with the over the tunnel effect the one piece mats had. The incert? It's on the wall in the basement, someday I'll finish a car or it.

Dear 1937hd45,I guess this qualifys,Early 70s pulling the motor out of a 65 Mustang,271 hp with 4 speed,just so happened to be the same Saturday my then girlfriend was fixing our first dinner.YOU know the rest,removal took WAY too long,cold dinner went in the trash.You think i would have LEARNED this was NOT the girl to marry,YOU guessed it 3 years and that was in the garbage too.diz laugh.gif

When I was 16 years old, and following my first car which was a 1939 Buick, my Dad helped me get a 1952 Plymouth Belvedere Hardtop coupe. I had basically wanted a newer car to please the then-prominent girlfriend. My Mom just wanted me to have a newer car because she thought it was safer.

Anyway, at the time my Dad had a plain-jane 1951 Plymouth Cambridge sedan...not even a radio. To answer another forum question, the '51 Plymouth was the first car I drove.

Well, the chrome was beautiful on the '51 Plymouth...evidently it was pre-Korean Chrome, but the chrome on the '52 Belvedere was starting to pit up really bad...this was 1955. So, one day while Dad wasn't looking, I swapped all the chrome from the '51 to the '52. When he found out, he was really mad at me, but he never made me change it back.

In 1958 he traded the '51 on a new '58 Buick, and I traded the '52 on a 20K mile 1955 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan.

I had to type the below Wayne, because nobody has showed me how to do it automatically!!! cool.giflaugh.giftongue.gif

Earl Beauchamp

1935 Buick 41

1939 Buick 41 and 41C

1948 Buick 51

1971 Buick Riviera

and 1976 Lincoln Continental Town Coupe

When I was about 13{1964} my uncle had a '55 Plymouth he drove to work and all the cousins learned to drive. He offered it to me for $5. It was ugly, Peach and Black 4 door, but it was a car. My dad made me pay for it, big money back then. Next day I ripped the hubcaps and air cleaner off, COOL. Spent all day cleaning that sucker. When my dad got home from work he told me I could sell it to a guy he worked with for a profit of $2. I refused, after all I had my first car. Took him all night to convince me to sell, had to put the hubcaps and aircleaner back on. Took me quite a while to realize I was snookered. Car was never mine to begin with , they just tricked me into cleaning it for a lousy $2.

Earl,

I just added signature. You need to go to My Home at the bottom you will see Personal Info etc. Click edit and you will see a box to add your signature.

O by the way my first Car was a 1976 Pontiac Gran Prix with a 350 which I swap out with a 400.

My first car was a 55 chevy belair,bought as just a body. My brother and I used a 61 and a 65 Impala as donor cars for the 327 engine,4-spd muncie,and the 4:11 rear, and bucket seats.In the summer we put the car together to be my first car on the street for my 17th birthday.It Was a proud day to roll down the boulevard in primer black paint,cragar mags with straight headers.

ronvb