1956 engine enamel?? Hampden Blue or "Apple Green"

Budd

Anyone? I was just looking over my paint chip pages for 1956, and it mentions "Note: Buick V8 engine enamel Hampden Blue is not available in the field. Use close match Hampden Blue..." etc. I always thought it was a form of "apple green" that I buy from Cars, Inc for example. Anyone have insight on this as to the "correct engine enamel" for 1956? I even have pictures from the GM assembly line in Flint, and they show the 322's coming off the line painted blue.

Cheers,

Budd

I have never seen a Buick engine that BLUE. The straight 8's were more of a Turquoise Blue. The color in the magazine attachment is a Royal almost Navy Blue. Must have been a mistake by the printer that day.

And after close examination, you can see that the manifolds, starters and aircleaners are all blue. None of those are green or blue on an engine.

I think someone colored wrong.

Use the green, it is correct.

In the "blown up" picture, not only are the exhaust manifolds blue, but so is the Carb. With the chrome valve covers and spark plug covers, it's obviuos that this blue is an artists rendition.

However, here's a question related to the original. What color should the air cleaner be? I have seen black satin and the Buick green. Is there a right color for restorations to original manufacture?

John D

56 Super 56 R

69 Electra Limited

69 GS 400 conv.

95 Riviera (Supercharged)

I'd pay good money for a complete list of "which thing is painted which color" for our cars. Kindof like a cheat sheet for a car show judge. The list of things they look for, so us mere mortals know what to aspire to (and what we're being judged for). Does such a list exist? What color the air cleaner is supposed to be would certainly be one of the line items. I've seen a couple of photos of supposedly "correct" show winner engines, and each has had the air cleaner painted satin black, it appears. I'll dig around and see if I can locate the photos.

I'd be happier having a documented and researched list though.

Budd

I found the description of person I'm looking for... a "Technical Advisor". Are there any 1950's Buick Technical Advisors on this list who can steer us in the direction of the holy grail list of *correctness* for our Buicks?

Budd