20 inch Lincoln wire wheels - what year?

I saved a vintage rear end from being scrapped a couple of weeks ago that appears to be a Lincoln and is in nice working order. It is what I believe to be a mid-to-late 1920s Lincoln rear end with Rocky Mountain Brakes and 20-inch spoke wire wheels. The wheels' lug pattern appears to be 5 by 6 inches. There are no hubcaps on the wire wheels, and I am looking for some, but first need to know exactly what I have. I have been given an opinion from a pretty savy guy I know that the wire wheels are aftermarket for 1926-27 Lincoln, since the Lincoln of that vinbtage originally came with wood wheels. Am I on the right forum to be asking this kind of information, or is this forum only for more modern Lincoln questions, etc?

Not to disagree with my good buddy Dave, but I think information would be much more likely to come from a site catering to Model K and L big Lincolns, I know there is one, looks like a job for google. Big Lincoln people seem to discount our '36-'48 Zephyrs a lot, a minor character flaw for sure, Rolf

I owned a 1930 L series Lincoln from 1967 till 1990. It was equipped with 20 inch welded steel wire wheels with drop center rims. Sure enough had the 5x6 lug pattern. I believe Lincoln began using 20 inchers in 1928. Previously I had owned a 1927 L which had 21 inch Buffalos with adjustable spokes and center-locking hubs. The first K Lincoln was a 1931 (still 8 cylinder). It used wheels of identical appearance but 19 inch tires. The whole idea of the 31 was to get the profile down. The bodies were even channeled around the frames to lower the car about six inches. If you have the impression your trophy has wheels like a giant Model A, you are pretty close. You should see the overall appearance of any 28-30 Lincoln with a Lincoln body. They say everything is bigger in your dreams. Mike Rollins

• 1 year later...

I am looking for a set of wire wheels to fit a 1926 Lincoln. Do you still have your wheels? Would you consider selling them? Do you know of any other wire wheels or hubs? These wheels would have been used from 1926 thru 1927, when Lincoln introduced their own welded spoke wheel. Prior to 1926, the Lincolns used a 21" and a 23" wheel.