Kids program at national meets

Al Smeraldo

I would like to correct some comments that surfaced with in this thread that the AACA Board (or some of the board members) does not support or does not have an interest in youth development. I do not know of any of the 21 directors that do not support the youth movement. I can report with confidence that the AACA board is fully committed to make the youth program a success. Each of the past AACA Presidents and future possible Presidents are 100% behind the youth program. Remember youth to AACA is 40 years and under. That is a big range of age and requires a number of different programs. We must all remember that each board member has his or her own responsibilities and must focus their energy on their own activities to insure AACA operates effectively. The structure of the AACA is that the VP of Youth Development has the responsibility to make youth development happen. Anything that I have taken to the Board involving youth development have received full board support. There are lots of different ideas that surface on what we can or should do. Some are great, some or not, some are at the wrong time, and some are just right to roll out.. What is always important is that what ever we implement is we need the support from our members to make it any of it happen. We all know that any program requires resources whether it is person power or dollars. The Board or the VP of Youth Development can not make it happen on their own. What you have all said is right on, the more members that talk the talk and walk the walk we will be successful. This discussion has a great core of supporters and I agree with Tom G. that says each of you need to be vocal, but vocal is getting fellow members to walk the walk and talk the talk and to join in as workers on youth programs

Lets keep it going

Douglas Drake

VP of Youth Development

Lets make it happen

As I have said I am excited about this thread and the different ideas and discussions that have surfaced. This is a great start to thinking what and where we might be able to go with Al Smeraldo thoughts. Something like this is not going to be accepted by every one, however many would be excited about the program (including the kids). The right way to get this youth display/judging idea on to the table is to put together a committee to study the idea and present the idea to appropriate AACA Vice Presidents such as the VP of National Activities, the VP of Youth Development, and perhaps the VP of National Judging. After the committee completes its review with the appropriate VPs and their committees we would need to take a program like this to the Board of Directors for approval. If the program is well thought out and properly presented it can easily be sold.

As the VP of Youth Development I would like to recommend that Al Smeraldo as the originator of this thread co-chair a study committee to prepare different ideas on how something like this would work at a national meet. (certainly it is easy to role out at a local meet and has been done) We would need to know how we could promote it, how we would judge the entries, who would judge the entries, who should be eligible, what is appropriate type of items that would be able to be entered (like pedal cars, mini bikes, go carts or what ever), what would be the feelings of members if a display or contest like this was planned at a national meet, how many participators might enter an program like this, what is the benefit of a program like this, and certainly how we would fund the awards and program,? These are just some of the questions that we need to evaluate to determine if we could or should do something like this.

I think we should move ahead with the study and see whether something like this would be viable. I support the idea and welcome feedback from each of you as well as any one who would like to volunteer to participate in the committee review

Douglas Drake

VP of Youth Development and Programs

Great idea Doug, I think that if we can get some discussion on this issue maybe we can get something going in Philly. I think that we still need to get more of our national directors involved in these conversations, or meetings. It seems to me that each year it is the same national people involved in the youth meetings. You and Fran. I feel that if we have to put it before the national board of directors for their approval, why not involve them in the discussions. Like I said earlier, they all talk about supporting the youth program, but how many of them are actually involved in helping it. I agree with your comment that they are all behind the youth program. Nobody wants to see it stall. But how many of them are actually working with us to move it forward. I also know that the national directors and board members have huge responsibilities that take up a great deal of their time, but I personally cannot understand why I have never seen any of them in on any of our conversations on this issue. They need to be more involved in what are trying to accomplish if thy truely are committed to moving this program forward. If for no other reason, so we don't have to waste a lot of time putting a program together and presenting it, only to have them reject it. And please understand, I don't expect a large group of directors to join in, but it would be nice to see a few more than just you and Fran. Maybe I shouldn't be writing all of this on this forum, but I think after all of the time and effort that you guys have spent on this, it is about time for some of the others to do their part. It seems as thought everyone is afraid of rocking the boat so to speak, so let me be the one to rock it. I hope I am not out of line here, and if I am let me appoligize now.