Need Answers, Deductions for Securing True Classic?

Guest 41Kaddy

Guest imported_41Kaddy

I need help from CCCA, AACA and CLC judges regarding this important question: Will points be deducted for altering the authenticity of a true classic Cadillac, or a true Milestone Cadillac if special 'D'rings are permanantly attached to the front and rear frame of the car in order that the automobile may be more easily secured and tied down in an enclosed car hauling trailer. I have to do all the loading and unloading by myself, and it is often difficult for me to do alone. I have beautifully restored automobiles which have won national awards, and I would like to show them at premier events, and continue to have them assessed and judged--now that I am retired, and have the time. Bill Podany, Green Bay, WI. I cannot get a definitive answer so far in my frequent requests to fellow classic car owners--maybe this forum can help. Thank you very much.

Guest Chuck Conrad

Since AACA judges cars "The way they left the factory," and CCCA judges cars "The way they were delivered to the original owner," you should expect a point deduction for any non-authentic hardware that did not originally come on the car. I've never seen a car with factory "D" rings installed. Of course, if you could provide factory documentation to the contrary for the car in question, then there would be no deduction. You'd need to bring that documentation with you to the judging event.

My recomendation is to use the nylon axle straps that are available from most trailer manufacturers and suppliers. You simply loop them over the axle and connect your tie down strap to it. They are easy to use, and can be purchased in a variety of load ratings. If for some reason, these stock versions won't fit your car, I'd suggest finding your nearest Aeroquipt dealer and have them custom make the appropriate straps. I've done that myself. They were easy to put on, and not all that expensive.