Sign in to follow this  

Why Does the Maserati Quaatroporte Look Like a Buick?

Every time I look at a photo of the new Maserati Quaatroporte I think I'm looking ad a spy phoyo for the next gen Park Avenue Ultra. It even has what looks like three ventiports on each side. Very flattering for Buick - not so sure how good it is for Maserati.

Follow this link to have a look - it's the seventh one down

http://autos.msn.com/advice/standardart.aspx?contentid=4022091&src=News

It really would make a nice Park Ave (which they should really call Electra).

Anyone else get this impression about the Maserati??

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

I wonder if they mixed up pictures, 'cause that car sure does look "Buicky".

Besides- "Quattroporte" is simply Italian for "Four Door". Nothing like sticking an exotic sounding name on something to liven it up!

Sir,

I commend you upon having made an observation of singular and focused interest to me. Your keen observation, coupled with the other respondent?s identification of the ?sweep spear? reflection serves to underscore the high value that I place upon your finding. I shall explain to you why you need not worry.

First, note that Maserati, Rolls Royce, Jaguar, Mercedes, Ford, Chrysler, etc. have gone through many changes in management or design philosophy, quality, and so on. This has led to a plethora of good designs and poor designs on their part. Bear in mind that no auto manufacturer is perfect.

Back to Maserati, a fine and even legendary automotive marque in its own right. In a few years Maserati will jump to another ?hip? look, far divorced from this one. It too will look as dated and sci-fi-ish as their last attempt at a 4 door grand touring sedan. The understated Buick will stand the test of time. Look at the ?95 Riviera next to the Jaguar sports coupe. At twice the price was the Jag really worth it? Check comparative value in 10 years or 20!

Over many generations, Buicks have had a consistent set of features like the sweep spear, port holes, grille work, complex sets of body curvatures, engine designs, etc. that show a level of corporate sensitivity to consistency which is the quintessence of good manufacturing practices, good customer service, good engineering, and good resale value. You will not find this level of detail in any other GM product. Consider that the average customer only sees a small percentage of what GM engineered into each Buick. Consider this too my friend: More often than not, a Buick is a Buick inside and out!

Remember too that Buick was the corner stone upon which mighty GM was built. It is for this reason, and perhaps many others, that the solidity, consistency, and value at the core of GM can be nowhere else if it is not at the core of every Buick ever built. This is why Americans not only continue buying Buick, we love Buick. Even if we don?t own one, everyone knows, almost instinctively what Buick means. Have no fear, Buick is here.

May God Speed you on your way?in a Buick,

Buick Club of America

www.buickclub.org

see "Performance"

Electra GSX Road Racer