Columbia Two-Speed

AceCollins

I have decided to begin looking for a Columbia Two-Speed for my 37. I figure I will need it to do highway cruising. Roy Thorson directed me to an expert on the West Coast to educate me in this matter. From what I now know any Ford Columbia will work in the Lincoln. If anyone knows of one for sale, let me know. I will look at just buying a good unit, but really want one with controls as well.

Ace Collins

http://www.acecollins.com/37zephyr.html

Ace -

I went ahead and bought the manuals from Faxon. It might be worth it for you as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...item=2432988387

If I read the description right, it will tell us what is shared and isn't shared with the Ford units. I seem to remember that the vacuum control unit was different from the Fords, but George Trickett in Vermont could tell you for sure.

BTW, who's going to the swap meet in PA this Jan./Feb? I'm planning to...

Dan Krehbiel, who did all of Roy Thorson's work on both his LZ's, tells me the units are basically the same and he can rework them to fit any year. I will recall him and make sure of this information. I visited with him twice today and he seemed to be confident of this fact, saying he has switched out Ford units into Lincolns for years. He is in LZ club too. I do know that 41-48 Lincoln BW OD will not work with our cars. Anyway, I will keep digging and make another call or two for a second opinion. I am not going to buy anything until I get another royalty check later this year anyway. Thanks guys!

Ace

Hi Ace,

Dan Krehbiel has been a good friend of mine since 1962 and I can highly recommend him as a reliable Columbia source. He has built over 200 Columbia axles in the past 20 or so years and he knows the parts that need to be strengthened for reliability. He built a Columbia for my 1939 Ford Convertible that I never installed before I sold the car. Now I am planning on installing it in my recently acquired 1939 Zephyr Convertible. The only difference in the units is that the right axle housing spring shackle is larger on the Lincoln unit. When Dan built mine, he only had a Lincoln right axle housing on hand which was OK by me at the time, now it's perfect! You may have to fabricate a bracket for the control unit since it mounts differently in the Lincoln. It's an excellent accessory.

Say Hi to Dan for me if you speak with him again.

Good Luck with it!

That's really good news, Ace. Could you ask him a couple questions for me. Specifically, in 37, the speedo cable went all the way back to the rear axle. But I have a 38 unit, which has a speedo adjustment unit, with a feed cable coming from the speedo and a second cable out to the transmisson. Questions:

1. Is the 38 arrangement superior to the 37? It looks more complex to me.

2. Can he convert my 38 columbia axle to look like the 37?

(If anyone else wants to take a shot at answering this, I'd appreciate it.)

Cecil,

Dan gave me the scoop on your unit. Both speedo cable set ups are correct for both 37 and 38. A Columbia with a cable that went all the way back to the rear axle was a factory unit. The unit you bought was dealer installed (they had the twin cable set up with a box on the firewall). So, from a show standpoint down the road, either unit should work. Dan said to do it the way it is easiest for you and if you want any advice from him his number is (909) 302-5922.

Hope this is the information you needed.

Ace

Phil,

I paid your respects to Dan. I have found not one but two 47 Ford Columbias and sent him pics of both. He assures me that he can rebuild both of them, that nothing is missing or broken. So looks like I am going to end up selling one to Dan and letting him restore the other for my 37.

Thanks for all the advice gang.

AceCollins

http://www.acecollins.com/classicfordsa.html