Sign in to follow this  

1941 Packard Clipper

Are Milestone cars limited to post war models? The '41 Packard Clipper (on the 127" wheelbase) should be considered because it set the styling standard throughout the industry for several years.

The '41 Clipper is one of my favorite Packards. Sorry I sold my "beater-driver" a few years ago. If you get to Hershey sometime, the new AACA Museum has a real beauty on display. A gift of MBNA Bank, it had been treated to a first class restoration.

Mike

The 1941 Packard Clipper indeed did set a style trend that would signal a new wave of styling. The 1941 Packard Clipper was styled by the famous auto stylist Howard "Dutch" Darrin, who designed previous limited edition Packards, and who designed the Kaiser and Frazer car for the most part for 1947, and the 1951 Kaiser, and the Kaiser Darrin limited production 2-seater sports car. I am surprised that Dutch Darrin has not yet been inducted into the Automotive Hall of Fame.

Keith Scott, Bend, Oregon scottkey@msn.com

Did anyone ever notice the grand Packard Clipper styling from 1941 through '47 and the later mid 50's to early 60's Rolls & Bentley design ? From a distance , say 150 ft they look the same but the Clipper has a more modern rounded effect and the Rolls - Bentley more of an edged shape to it. wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

..........Steve

I had a 2106 Clipper club sedan for several years and it was the easist driving vintage car I have ever been in and fast too. I really like the styling of the 35 - 39s better, but when people came to see my cars, they often liked the 46 best. The Bentley comparison is interesting. I think that the club sedan is a good looking car. Mine was black with blackwalls and looked sort of sinister and old money conservative while still being sporty, but the CCCA guys all wanted wide whites on it.

I agree with Steve, the comparison with the late 50's RR Silver Cloud and the Bentley counterpart seems obvious. To my knowledge, the English in general, and Rolls Royce in particular had great respect for Packard.

you also have to consider the early fifties Mercedes 300 sedans, also the big post-war Jaguar Mk sedans and a slew of other european cars -- some of which didn't make the transition to a smaller size very well. Dutch himself wasn't very happy with what Briggs Body Mfg.(Alex Tremulis) and Packard Styling did to his design, but the genius still shines through. Even Pininfarina in his biography listed the Clipper as having a big effect on his designs. Someone evidently got one to Italy just prior to WWII, a red one, and he used to see it around and admire it. Oh, and Darrin never got paid, by the way. Last summer I bought a '41 clipper out of Florida to go with my One Twenty touring sedan. Lots of stuff to do to it yet, but it's all-there with no rust and solid mechanicals. I just love to gaze at it. Crouching feline.