Glidden Tour!!!!!!

Guest GeorgeCagle

Guest imported_GeorgeCagle

As I was going to work Monday morning (Sept 15th), one block from where I work, I noticed that the Ramada Inn (Madison, Alabama) was full of old cars. I quickly did a u-turn and pulled into the parking lot, and found out that the Ramada was the headquarters for the first ever North Alabama Glidden Tour. I somehow missed the fact that this was happening in my area, so I guess it pays to read the calendar on the main page. I grabbed my video camera and walked through, filming all the cars and talking to the owners. (Needless to say, I was a little late to work). Everyone was very friendly. There was a DUESENBERG there in the parking lot! This was the first time I had ever seen one outside of a museum. Also present were a Rolls (20/25), and a Minerva. I guess there was over a hundred cars present at the Ramada, with close to two hunderd on the tour. There were many Packards, Cadillacs, LaSalles, Dodges, Buicks, Fords, Chevys and Chryslers (RoadsterRich - there was even a Chrysler 77 Roadster there), and a few Nash, Plymouths, and Studebakers also. At a regular car show, the cars are almost always parked with others of their type, but here they are all mixed up. You really can see the size difference when a Duesenberg is parked next to a '32 Ford. I thought it was funny that the Ford had a car cover on it overnight and the Duesenberg didn't.

I stopped again this morning on the way to work and saw Father Ron being interviewed by Channel 19 TV. This was a great experience getting to see and hear such a wide range of autos, and especially getting to meet and talk to the owners. This inspires me to work harder on my car. The tour will be here till the 19th, so I guess I will be stopping again tomorrow...