Electronic ignition for '40s CCCAmobiles

gearboy

In my post of 7/25/03 on this forum, "'40s drop-in Pertronix electronic ignition conversion kits," perhaps it was unclear that i haven't installed it yet, and was referring to reports from those who have. Among these satisfied, even enthused users, are 30 blown and unblown '36-'37 Cordites, many of which have been driven on long Caravans, etc., so am suprised that not one person perusing this site can report firsthand experience in their 1940-42 Packard 160/180, '46-'47 Super/Custom Super Clipper, or custom-bodied (Darrin, etc.) 1940-on 120, let alone any of the non-Classic '48-'54 Packard inline 8s.

To clarify, my car starts swell hot or cold with the stock points and runs like Man 'o War (Seabiscuit was campaigned by a Buick dealer). I only wanted to fit a spare rebuilt distributor with one of these Pertronix kits to see if i could notice any improvement over a razor-tuned stock points set-up, since electronic ignition gives a hotter and more consistent spark (points having only a window of peak performance before needing adjustment).

So far, reports have been a resounding endorsement (see my 7/25 post, please, so we stay on subject). I wanted to hear from any of you with firsthand field reports. [color:"black"]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest imported_PackardV8

i doubt that u will see any performance nor economy improvements in engines with less that 8:1 compression ratio.

My car has 7.5:1 compression; nothing you couldn't do at an enterprising Packard garage back then. I don't expect massive improvement, am only and always searching for a tweak here and there; performance gains are cumulative. And it runs swell now; you really couldn't ask for more. Just wondering whether Pertronix'd give an edge. So far, everyone running Pertronix electronic ignition kits in their otherwise stock Cords (both blown and non-blown), '40s Packards (120/282; 356; 288 & 327); and a '41 Buick Super (248-ci) raves about them. The w o r s t thing i've heard was one of the Cordites (Cords use an AutoLite distributor similar to the Packard 120) said he only noticed a slight improvement in either idle or acceleration (i forget which), and his car was also razor-tuned to begin with.

My main concern is whether anyone's heard of these Pertronix kits failing yet. So far, a couple hundred '30s and '40s Classics and others running on Caravans, tours, etc. without a hitch. But i'd hoped to hear from any drivers on this site.

A '64 Pontiac GTO driver tells me he and his fellow muscle car drivers are happy as clams, and no one's been left stranded yet; this after thousands of miles with Pertronix drop-in kits, albeit obviously 12-volt. I want to hear from fellow 6-volt otherwise stock drivers.

Thanks again. Anyone? (And p l e a s e....see my previous posts so we don't go off-subject [color:"black"] about "original," "authentic," ad nauseum from the correct hose clamp/pinstripe brigade.)

Guest imported_PackardV8

I have heard NO complaints about Petronix. They are widely used among many different car owners. If there is only marginal improvement among the lower compression, normally aspirated , slow turning engines then why bother????

I plan to change to the Petronix in the near future on my 40 120 not so much for any performance gain but figuring it will make for one less thing to maintain.

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard some rave about the Pertronix, but I have my doubts about it. I have worked on enough suddendly dead aftermarket electronic ignition products to be wary about them, though I have no direct experience with Pertronix. No doubt these products are much better than they were in the 70's.

I would consider installing one if I had a difficult to rebuild warn distributor shaft that would not hold a point or timing setting properly. But this is fairly rare, my old cars are driven so little that keeping points up to snuff is about the least of my problems with them.

That Pertronix conversion is not cheap, you could buy a lot of points and distributor rebuilds for the cost. If there is any improvement in performance, it might be with hot starting, some of my 6V systems do drop a lot of voltage when cranking, maybe down to below 4V. Wonder how the Pertronix electronic system would work under these conditions.

Bill

Albuquerque

Electronic ignition is a big plus in high performance engines but I doubt there would be much benifit for a CCCA car. My cockpit adjustable ignition in my Duesenberg seems to work fine and is fun to use. In my sixties race rars I have converted to electronic ignition as a starting set of plugs and a running set of plugs gets old soon. As I run these cars on the street I've found electronic ign. the way to go to unfoul plugs. I've used MSD systems in my MK-IV, my P4, and my Lola.

Years ago i built an electronic ignition system from plans, that still used the points for a trigger, but used a relay in the system that once the fuse in the unit was removed the ignition system switched back over to using the points only if the electronics failed. I used this in a Datsun 510 that was always hard on points, but removed it before i sold the car so the next owner would not drive a mechanic nuts figuring it out.