W 16 engine

Guest tin knocker

Guest tin_knocker

I hate to appear ignorant, but I have difficulty understanding the following. For $1000,000 we can buy a Bugatti Veyron. It has a 8.0 liter W16 engine. What kind of cylinder configuration is a W?

I don't know what the new Bugatti W engine looks like, but I can tell you what the W engine looked like that Harry Miller built in the 1920's. If you looked at the engine from the front there are three banks of cylinders. The real cool part was the connecting rod that connected to three pistons! Try to picture a normal connecting rod with a boss above both rod bolts,this had a wrist pin and a foked end rod that went to the outboard piston. Libety aircraft engines used he same design. Back in the 1920's Bugatti built a "U" 16 that was two straigt engines on a common crankcase with the two crankshafts geared together.

Back in the old days Rolls Royce (I believe) built an aircraft engine in a "W" configuration. It might have been called a lion but I can't find it in my reference materials right now. a "W" configuration has a vertical set of cylinders between the V. I has never been very popular???

Happy hobbying

You can also see a W motor in a six cylinder version by VW. VW calls the 6 a "VR" six, its a 15 degree motor with one head that covers both cylinder banks. VW puts it in Jettas and New Beetles.

A "W" motor version from what I understand is available in the Toureg in 8 cylinder and will be expanded to a ten cylinder turbo diesel.