getting title for 39 zeyphr coupe

hi, i now own the zephyr with no title. could someone please let me know the best way to get one..my next step will trying to get the car out of its 50 year tomb as it sits in the rear of a 60' long garage with no lights or windows (the windows were boarded up long ago)..also were all of these cars floor shift and did they all have a crazy looking curly shifter or was this added later. i took some more pictures but they seem to big to post here, but i will send them to anyone who is interested,thanks JIM

Well, I have some not-so-good news here for ya. In most states, you cannot get a new title issued for a non-running vehicle. You must first get it running, *then* take out an indemnity bond based on the value of the car, just in case the previous owner shows up. It doesn't matter whether or not title laws were in effect at the time the car was parked.

I've heard of some deal where you create a shell "sale" through an Alabama dealer and get a title that way, but I don't have any info on it, and it sounds sorta shaky to me anyhow.

If at all possible, see if you can track down the previous owner and get *some* paperwork that might be equivalent to a title of 50 years ago. Good luck.

Yup, all 1939 Lincoln Zephyrs had that snakey floor shifter. It came up through a center "console" and out a slot on the left side. (The 1939 Lincoln Zephyr dashboard looks like the attached photo.) 1939 was the last year of the floor shift.

The difficulty in getting a title is dependent on the state in which you live. Check with your local DMV (or equivalent).

I can shrink your photos for you if you attach them to an e-mail message. ONLY ONE PER MESSAGE, please. I have a dial-up line and it's SLOW!

Guest stude8

JPH:

Contact Jim Parkinson Queens Village, NY 11429 718-479-0436. He can supply New York title and Bill of Sale in 24 hrs if need be. It's his business. Stude8

The Alabama deal is legal and legit, for cars of a certain age. You need a bill of sale, or an old registration and or tag number. New York was not a title state until 74, for vehicles prior to that they will issue a transferrable registration, which can be used to get a title in another shate. (I had to do that with several cars when I left NY for FL) Most states will issue "title only" for ownership purposes without issuing a tag. When registering for a tag is the time that inspections would be required. (except for VIN check, that can be done at any time, some require it, some don't) Good Luck, be persistant, you will get through the paperwork eventually, congrats on your find! survivors are getting extremely rare.

Guest imported_V12Bill

jph, I have used the Alabama firm twice in the past 8 years and have not had any trouble registering the title in N.J. New Jersey can be a real pain when it comes to anything regarding M.V. registration. Basically you trasnsfer ownership by bill of sale to the Alabama firm. They register it in Ala. and "sell" the vehicle back to you. You take the Ala. paper work to your state motor vehicle and act as though you bought the car from an Ala. owner. Yes, it sounds shaky, but I had no problem with my l962 Cushman Scoter($90.) or my l948 Lincoln convertible ($125.) . They do not transfer titles on newer than 25 years old.

I have also used the Alabama route to a title with no problems. They send you a copy of the pertinent Alabama statuesto assist your local DMV. takes a couple of weeks, but cuts down a bunch on the hassels with the local DMV and avoids posting a bond and all that.