Does anyone know anything about the new Packard?

SeriousWheels

Guest imported_PackardV8

now wait a minute!!!! Is this the 1965 Packard V12 that the PAC club was touting last year????? Do they also plan to make a 1965 Packard V13 van too??? U know, the one 'that so impressed Mr Eggbert'.

In addition to the new 1999 Packard and the 1965 farce story, I had heard a few months ago that some Packard brothers relative was going to produce Packard again in a few years. I cannot recall where I saw or heard that. It was at the very tail end of some car show on TV a few months back and the sketch I saw was for sure a long way from that 1999 underwhelming look.

Is it just me, or is the body style too gaudy? Wasn't Packard always designed to be controlled and refined style rather than Zimmer-like flash?

The car is too in your face for my liking. The grill is the only +, the wheels are the biggest - (they look like pimp-preferred wheels to me).

The closest production car today to what I feel a Packard was is *mayby* an Audi: High tech, refined luxury, but not in-your-face. The kind of car that a smart, successfull, but conservative person might own.

Agree/disagree?

As I posted above, I saw the prototype in 1999 at the PI meet in Orange, CA.

The only thing "Packard" about it was the 48-50 style grille, which is my [color:"red"]least favorite grille rendering. Even the 1951-54 "monster from the sea" is better IMHO. No wonder <span style="font-weight: bold">No one</span> bit.

Here's the postings from earlier, back in January.

I recognize that photo as the infamous 1999 model. What I saw on Speed Channel was radically different from that.

Post Extras:

RO

Reged: 08/14/01

Loc: North Alabama

Re: 2005 Packard

#147500 - 01/24/03 04:30 PM Edit Reply Quote

The car I saw a drawing/color sketch of was like a strechted PT Cruiser, big long recessed vertical taillights, completely different from that 1999 model.

Post Extras:

RO

Reged: 08/14/01

Loc: North Alabama

Re: 2005 Packard

#147501 - 01/24/03 04:34 PM Edit Reply Quote

2005 Packard website but it will not open: http://www.americaspackardmuseum.org/the_events.html

There is verbage there about introducing the 2005 Packard. I didn't believe this was just the 1999-2000 model again.

• 1 month later...

The last I heard the Packard name was owned by the Bayliff family in Lima Ohio. Although I don't think they are still producing cars (they attempted this several times actually nicely) they're using the Packard name in a resturant buisness in Lima (The Packard Grille)

Ever this way in North West Ohio, you should stop by and visit them.

Hope this helps..

filehound@earthlink.net