Definitions

Guest tin knocker

Guest tin_knocker

I have seen these two terms used in different applications. Is there someone who can give me the correct definition of the terms, California top, and artillery wheels?

A "California" top is a rigid non folding removable top used on a roadster or touring car. They were popular in the late teens and 1920's, similar to a port hole top on a 1950's T-Bird. Artillary wheels are wood spoke wheels, the term was used in the late 1920's and early 1930's when most cars has wire or steel disk wheels.

Gee,Maybe we're both right, I just ran across this illustration in a 1934 Plymouth sales brochure I was putting on eBay (shameless plug).Plymouth offered thes as an accessory in 1933 but the "steel artillary Air-Wheels" were standard in 1934. Guess this was part of the cooling of the four wheel "centrifuse" brake drums they also offered. When I think of artillary wheels I first think of wood spokes, must be a Civil War thing. Ooops, sorry Wayne, War of Northern Aggression. Bob in SOUTHERN Connecticut

Guest stude8

In 1932 Studebaker President models could be ordered with "Pressed Steel Artillery Spoke wheels". They were Chrome plated and very attractive. Unfortunately when found today in rusted condition they are a Devil to polish the pits out of down in the spoke depressions. Stude8

You can see these wheels at www.antiquestudebakerclub.com/vol.25_6_05.jpg , this link may not go direct to photo, just look under "Factory Photos" on ASC site and scroll down to the "Studebaker Bathing Beauties" gallery and look at the convertable sedan for 1932.