Charred 68 Caddy - Dilemma

I have a dilemma and that is my 68 Sedan deVille caught on fire burning practically anything rubber and plastic under the hood and popping the driver-side front tire. My mechanic just told me yesterday it's "DONE" but I don't want to send this car to the scrap yard. This has really got me bumbed.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is this car worth selling for parts? It was in good condition and I used it as a 2nd car for leisure (antique plates). For your reference, the body has no rust, is straight, and all original. Damage done was front tire exploded, hoses leading to/from fuel pump melted, radiator hose melted, cruise-control box melted. Cosmetic: scar on top of hood and front-left fender panel.

I welcome any and all opinions out there.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, Ken. My son and ex-wife lost 9 cars, 4 antiques, in a house fire in May. They were all in or around the garage (per Hagerty) when an electrical fire set the garage ablaze. The damage does not sound irrepairable but normally fire destroys more than just the obvious. It swells and fatigues metal, roasts wiring and generally makes a mess of the vehicle. Parting out the car is your best bet or just accept any insurance and move on. The cost of repair would be prohibitive on anything but a high priced classic.

Thanks for the advice randall. I now have the car towed back home so will start cleaning up and investigate what is salvageable. Anyone interested in a parts car or need anything for your 68 sedan deville?

Ken, sure seems you've had more than your share of electrical problems with this car.

I agree with Randall. I'd cut my losses and move on. A 1968 SDV, while a nice car, is probably not worth the hell you'd go thru trying to restore fire damage.

Randall, my grandma used to speak of people having "a season in hell". Looks like this year may be yours.

Yeah you can say that again, Glenn. I finally decided to take the other guy's insurance company's offer of $4432.30 for the 98 Holiday. It makes me sick to see that beautiful car go but there it is. I will put half of that back into the 47 Cadillac and save the rest.

So over all I am content. I would still like another car but that will have to wait until this fall unless one just falls into my lap as the Olds did.