Historical 1930 Duesenberg Imperial Cabreoliet Transformable

J 254 Coachworks: Hybbard & Darrin Paris France. Body Sylentlyte cast aluminum one of 2 built long wheel base chasis. Egine: dual ovehead cam straight 8 265 HP.Original owner William Randolph Hurst and Marion Dayes. They used the car in extensive tours of Europe and Africa before shipping it back to the US. Special modifications were made by J. Kirchhoff. This is probably the most photographed car in the world.

At a recent auction, I was the highest bidder at just under a million dollars. I have been told by authorities that the car appraises for $3 million. I would like to sell the car quickly with only a modest profit in mind. View pictures at http://www.scardina.cc

You may send e-mail with contact information to drbrett@hipoint.net so that we may discuss or call me at 225-603-4946.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I think you ought to just enjoy the car, show it, and have fun on car tours rather than try to make a profit. There are many Duesenbergs that are much more desirable than your town car that are selling for much less than $1 million. Even ones with perfect restorations. The Hearst/Davies car has a very old restoration. In my opinion, replacing the wheels with the correct size for when it was originally built would do much for improving its looks.

• 9 months later...
Guest Silverghost

I have to wonder WHY you bought this auto in the first place??? It would appear to me that you are not a true car collector!!! Why not speculate on Real Estate next time. I think you would have a better return on your investment + Let a true "Car Guy" enjoy this fine auto!!! Hurst would have a great laugh if he were alive today!!!

I know I did!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Silverghost

Steve: I have to agree with you...

If you are going to spend your money...

Why not go for the BEST!!!

That's the SJ DUESEY!!!

Do you REALLY think he knows what a supercharger is ??? I have got one that I will sell him at "MY COST".... only $500 thousand delivered to his front door!!! After all...

I only want to make a "MODEST PROFIT!!!"

Hey Brad , $ 500k for a supercharger ? Not too bad - but for $650,000 I would sell him the only one in existence that I just happen to have - the Fred Duesenberg designed Turbocharger - It consists of a beautifully constructed round cage that attaches to the exhaust manifold , all you have to do is add a rat. you see , when the manifold gets hotter and hotter, the rat runs faster and ....well you get the idea ! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

...........Steve

No, No it was Fred 'cause E. L. Cord wanted to save on production costs by using a mouse - but Fred said it had to be a rat because a mouse couldn't handle all that torque !!! blush.gif So Cord nixed it ! By the way this is all true , except for the part about everything.......... wink.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

..................Steve

Guest Silverghost

steve: The only thing that is true in this post is the fact that the new owner wants to make a "Modest Profit"!!! Hey...I guess that's the American Way... BUT...It's sad that most people who would really enjoy,treasure,and truly love this car...can't afford it because of speculators like this guy... He only sees $$$ signs here...Very very sad indeed!!!

This story Reminds me of a High Tone Car Show I once attended... Several people were viewing a fantastic "Classic" auto when one well-known "Collector" turned and stated to one of his curators..."Gee...That is a great car!!! Everyone seems to like it!!! I should get one like it!!!" His curator looked at him for a second and then replied... "Sir...You already have TWO exactly like it!!!"

This is a TRUE story!!!

Very Sad....But True!!!

It's sick and sad .....or sad and sick ! Actually both are correct !!!! And out on Long Island here I know a fella has 142 antique and classic cars - has many Cords , Auburns , Stutz's , a Welch , 35 or so woodies [Chryslers, Packards , Fords] 6 Pierce-Arrows and at least a dozen Packards among others - doesn't drive them and has to keep towing them to the mechanic I use 'cause he doesn't use them !!! Brakes go bad , the oil turns to sludge etc..... excuse my French - or is it German ? but what a f***ing waste !!!!!!!!!! frown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

..........................Steve

Guest Silverghost

Steve: I have seen this before...in fact I know of at least four other people like the so called "Collector" you spoke about... This really bothers my old car friends and I ...

There is one guy here in Penna. that keeps about 75 Brass era. + Full Classics in an old unheated

warehouse...They are packed in so solid that you can hardly walk between them!!! They are full of dust...Some are sitting on flat tires...Some were partially taken apart and the parts are piled inside...All were just parked and left to sit...most,if not all, still have their batterys still connected (the ones that have batterys) and have not been charged in years...The roof has been leaking for years now so the cars on the top floor are getting very wet...

The owner is in his mid 80s now...his children don't care about "His Old Junk" at all...

He will not let anyone see the cars...(I saw them in person in the 1970s when my Dad sold him several of his old cars so he could buy a boat.

Few know what he really has in there...I have a good idea...but few others do...

He will not sell ANYTHING...

I have waived money at him for one great Brass car and he tells me he "Will think about it...someday!!!" I will not hold my breath!!!

I have offered to get a few runnng for him...

He is just not interested!!!

I can't explain any of his actions...

There have been other "Hoards" like this before!!! We all know about the famous "Stutz" guy...and the auction after his death...

There was another such auction just this past summer where an old guy had great cars,parts.J Duesenberg engines+Chassis(2 of them!!!),Rolls~Royce Phantom, parts,cars and parts all over the place...Check last June-July Hemmings for the Auction Ads.

It is very very sad for true Great Car Lovers like you and I....

There is an old saying in this hobby...

It goes something like this...

The guys who really care about the great old cars can't afford them...

The guys that can afford them really don't care for them!

A second version goes like this...

The guys that want them can't afford them...

The guys that can...really don't want them!!!

Some day there will be a Big Auction here In Penna... The cars will all be sold...(If the building does not burn down first!!!)

I will be there...

In hopes that I can buy a car...

But the cars that he has that I really would Love to own... (One Great Classic and a Real Brass Speedster )I will not be able to afford!!! Most will be bought by dealers...

Some by High-End Collectors...

And Sadly...Some by Speculators like our J Duesenberg "Friend" here.......

Who only CARES to make a "Modest Profit"!!!

BUT...Does not really CARE at all about those Great Old Classics+ Antiques .......

At least NOT like You, and I do...

VERY VERY SAD INDEED!!!

I REALLY LOVE THESE CARS...

I have since my dad took me to my first Antique Car Show as a kid...I then bought every old car book I could get my hands on (Remember Mr. Stein)

To actually own...Just ONE of these cars would be a "Dream Come True For ME!!!"

I Guess I will have to just Keep Dreaming...

• 2 weeks later...

That photo has to win an award for the WORST car for sale photo I've ever seen! If you can afford a Duesenberg surely you could afford to hire a kid in a high school camera club to shoot it. confused.gif By the way in 40+ years in the hobby I've never seen a photo of this "Most Photographed" J.

• 1 month later...
Guest Silverghost

They all look alike...Some have more hair than others; and one way or another are

all involved in the Auction Business!!!

Guest aussie610

yeah I will buy it, I have this cheque for just over the asking price, made out by a bank in nigeria........... ;-)