Should I buy this 1950 Lincoln Cosmopolitan?

Matt129

Hello everyone, I’m looking at this 1950 Cosmopolitan and at the price the guy is asking, I’m genuinely considering it. He's only wanting $4000 for it, and while it is a pretty big project, it does run and drive. It has the 337 flathead V8 and I believe a GM hydromatic transmission, both of which seem fine? It bogs down when accelerating hard and kicks like it’s running out of fuel, but the engine itself seems fine when not under a load (or accelerating slowly) and sounds really healthy. No ticking, knocking, smoking, etc. Probably one of the smoothest engines I’ve heard to be honest. According to the owner he tested the oil pressure at just under 30 at idle, but the gauge doesn’t work now so I can’t verify that. I’m curious how hard it is to get parts for these? I know it’s a bit of an oddball flathead. And as for the transmission, it seemed to shift a little quicker than I would have expected, as in, it shifted through all the gears by the time it hit 20mph I believe, but was not slipping and otherwise seemed fine. The paint and most of the chrome is shot, but the interior is almost fully redone (albeit in a bit of a garish color but I think I could learn to like it lol). As far as rust goes, it has had the floor pans patched and new rockers installed, and the frame is perfect. Although it does have a couple small rust holes. Thankfully nothing irreparable though and 100% nothing structural. What do you all think, should I go for it? 

IMG_6233.jpeg

IMG_6235.jpeg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Rata Road said:

Will it fit in your garage? It looks long.

I like it, lots of car for 4k.

It’ll most likely get the driveway with a cover and constant monitoring treatment lol. My daily driver 51 ford needs the garage

1 hour ago, marcapra said:

At that price, I'd go for it.  You sure don't see many of those anymore on the road.  It's a very nice looking car, and it's a Lincoln!  

I should clarify that it looks better than it is because the paint is wet haha but with some patina preserver it’ll look like that at least. Any tips on where to get parts for these?

Go for it!

what a tank….

Those are great for trips 

you can sleep or live inside the back across country

King pins and brakes are so cheap to do on these

4 grand you can melt the metal down for more if it blows up

Go for it

see you at Hershey next week!😁

gtjoey131;

• Haha 2

The price seems reasonable, but there doesn’t seem to be a ton of interest in those Lincolns.  If you decide to paint it or do the chrome, you’re better off trying to find a nicer one, but if you love it, go for it.  

• Like 1

Depends upon what you are capable of doing. Paint - do you have the ability to do that and the place to do it. Chrome you will have to send out and that is $$$$$$$$$$

the chance of finding better or NOS chrome is unlikely.

Can you do the work required 

to get it running and driving

to your satisfaction ?

Do you have the enclosed 

space to do the work ?

Winter is knocking on the door.

Spending it under a car cover

is not good for any car.

Good deal - just maybe not

for you at this time.

Jim

It is not a good idea to own more cars than you have garage space for. They dissolve in water. Storage units around me cost about $120 per month. From 2005 to 2020 I rented at least one to free up garage space and protect one of the cars I owned. Car covers are best foe woodchucks, raccoons, bees. mold, viney plants with no green, and heat, not a good car environment.

Is the car worth the purchase price plus about $1400 per years to shelter it from the elements?

Lincoln Cosmopolitans are interesting cars though not widely collected even in the Lincoln community.  Both the Lincoln & Continental Owners Club (LCOC) and the Road Race Lincoln Registry (RRLR) welcome owners of 1949-'51 Lincolns and Lincoln Cosmopolitans.   Either club would be a good source to locate parts resources and service advice.  The 337 ci L-head V8 was also used as the engine for the Ford F-7 and F-8 heavy trucks.  If you can live with its appearance as is, without spending major money on paint and chrome, you should enjoy it.  Recouping any major investment later is unlikely.  Good luck with your acquisition whether this Lincoln or another. 

Edited by 58L-Y8
syntax corrected (see edit history)

You seem to know what you are getting into yet you are apprehensive enough for opinions. So, what is it that has you in the middle of buying or walking away ? The answer to that would be more helpful.

If you like the look and the nature of these land yachts (big, long and heavy), just buy it, not a lot of money. Spend a few hours/days assessing it and getting it running as best it will without spending much money. Then after a few months, decide if you want to keep it, and if not, reselling should not be much of a loss/gain. If you keep it, decide before hand what level of refurbishing you want to do (or it needs, brakes, electrical, tires etc). I would plan to keep it in "survivor condition", but make sure it is mechanically safe and reliable. 

Let’s be HONEST

these cars are aging out…

No one wants them under 50 years old overall , that market including my beloved 54 Merc market is dead!

If it’s safe , have some fun , it’s 4 grand!

Forward me the guys number if you don’t like it

You can run through that tank with a couple of bucks…..

Dont touch anything cosmetic just drive it

Gtjoey1314

20 minutes ago, Gtjoey said:

Forward me the guys number if you don’t like it

That is the kind of reply to look for. My first thought was to dissuade you and ask for the seller's contact information.

Steven King can' even come close to the haunting a car that got way will give you. Even the Cosmo I showed creeps up on me in my unaware moments. I found the pictures and remembered the year I took them without hesitation.

Beware the pragmatic consultant. His words will last a lifetime.

5 hours ago, alsancle said:

I want to see pictures of it dry.  Also the interior.  It looks solid which would be critical.  The interior needs to be usable and it has to run.

The interior is actually redone, in an interesting color lol, but in very good condition. 

IMG_6234.jpeg

3 hours ago, Tom C said:

You seem to know what you are getting into yet you are apprehensive enough for opinions. So, what is it that has you in the middle of buying or walking away ? The answer to that would be more helpful.

Well, I’m just wanting to make an educated decision. I like the car but I don’t know much about these

6 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Run away.

Hey I kinda like the green, reminds of monster energy lol. I know it’s pretty garish but it’s actually really high quality and well done upholstery. My thought was that if I got it I’d probably add some green pin-striping to the outside just so it matched and lean into it a bit. The previous owner was going for a rat rod, so I would probably end up going the same route.

Edited by Matt129 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Matt129 said:

Hey I kinda like the green, reminds of monster energy lol. I know it’s pretty garish but it’s actually really high quality and well done upholstery. My thought was that if I got it I’d probably add some green pin-striping to the outside just so it matched and lean into it a bit. The previous owner was going for a rat rod, so I would probably end up going the same route.

My issue is this.  If the interior was original but worn and usable I would consider that in keeping with the rest of the car.  Solid, running, usable,  and you really like it then buy it.   The problem with the interior is that it is from outer space,  doesn't fit the character of the rest of the car and makes me wonder what else the previous owner was up to.    There are lots of cars you can buy, even with 4k.   Take your time and find something you love.   The 4k is just a down payment once you start working on it.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, alsancle said:

My issue is this.  If the interior was original but worn and usable I would consider that in keeping with the rest of the car.  Solid, running, usable,  and you really like it then buy it.   The problem with the interior is that it is from outer space,  doesn't fit the character of the rest of the car and makes me wonder what else the previous owner was up to.    There are lots of cars you can buy, even with 4k.   Take your time and find something you love.   The 4k is just a down payment once you start working on it.

The guy was very honest and showed me around the car at all the stuff that he did to it, from what I can tell he essentially started the project several years ago, finished the interior and got it roadworthy, but then kind of lost steam on it. He was making it into a rat rod and from what I can tell was doing a great job (if a bit eccentric ) so if I do end up buying it, I’ll probably just keep that and keep the original patina with some green accents just so it matches better. I’m still not 100% decided, but I am leaning towards getting it. Absolute worst case scenario, I can just use some of that car seat fabric paint to change the color to something else.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Trulyvintage said:

Can you do the work required 

to get it running and driving

to your satisfaction ?

Do you have the enclosed 

space to do the work ?

Winter is knocking on the door.

Spending it under a car cover

is not good for any car.

Good deal - just maybe not

for you at this time.

Jim

I’ve worked as a mechanic and I do have experience with classic cars so I don’t think working on it will be an issue, it already drives fairly nice as is. As far as winter storage goes, I might be able to work out a storage space with a friend, and I do have a shop I can work on it in, it’s just a bit too long to fit in it storage wise.

Whoa…..

Matt129. Let’s cut to the chase

You like that interior?

Out of respect what’s your age bracket?

either your one of US and need your glasses 

orrr

It’s impossible but maybe a millenial?

Tell him 2,500 now

bring it to Hershey and we can put Mo hair slip covers for a couple of bucks🤣

Steve M am I pushing Hershey fall meet enough🤣

That color , what the f…..

Gtjoey1314

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Gtjoey said:

Whoa…..

Matt129. Let’s cut to the chase

You like that interior?

Out of respect what’s your age bracket?

either your one of US and need your glasses 

orrr

It’s impossible but maybe a millenial?

Tell him 2,500 now

bring it to Hershey and we can put Mo hair slip covers for a couple of bucks🤣

Steve M am I pushing Hershey fall meet enough🤣

That color , what the f…..

Gtjoey1314

I’m 21 and a bit of an oddball 🤣. And at first I hated the color but it grew on me… like the moss it’s imitating lol. And I can see the time put into it. While the color choice was definitely interesting, the quality is actually really well done. I would offer him lower but this is already after talking him down below his “rock bottom” price. I think $4000 is fair given the condition of the drivetrain, it actually goes down the road really nicely and the engine sounds smoother than my rebuilt daily driver 51 ford Flathead v8 which I hate saying lol. 

21!

Great to hear!

I think you have wiggle room , offer 2,500 today maybe you end up at 3 grand?

Your a gas tank away from Hershey. 

You get it their and The OLD guys take you to lunch or dinner!

Our Mercury club guys can help you out!

No offense we can get a roll of tan wool or mohair and calm that lady down

Put wax on the exterior with some Brillo pads and just have fun!! 
Buy it , if not Email me !

Maybe a cheap Gtjoey project!

Good luck young man!

Gtjoey1314

Edited by Gtjoey (see edit history)

To go with the interior you could paint the car with black primer or semi gloss black and add some green scallops or pin stripes, mag wheels or fancy hub caps. Then join the HAMB or other group for modified cars.  This would be a low cost way to go, and have some fun.

2 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

To go with the interior you could paint the car with black primer or semi gloss black and add some green scallops or pin stripes, mag wheels or fancy hub caps. Then join the HAMB or other group for modified cars.  This would be a low cost way to go, and have some fun.

That’s what I was planning! Seems cost effective at least the interior would match lol

Hey to each his own But……

Guys pay big bucks for patina

scallops and mat black on this ehhh

Youd never get it back

Your call

I have millenials so anything I say is the opposite anyway🤣

Good luck , if you don’t buy it pm the guys number

Thanks

6 minutes ago, Gtjoey said:

Hey to each his own But……

Guys pay big bucks for patina

scallops and mat black on this ehhh

Youd never get it back

Your call

I have millenials so anything I say is the opposite anyway🤣

Good luck , if you don’t buy it pm the guys number

Thanks

Well, the most I’ll probably do is some light decorative pinstriping here and there just so there’s something that ties the outside to the interior, but leave most of the patina intact. And if I don’t get it I’ll send you his number! 

2 minutes ago, Doug Williams said:

I have done/doing lots of restorations. Ask yourself whether or not you would enjoy the project or not. If you would get joy from the process, then buy the car.

Doug Williams

Miami, Florida

Doesn't sound like he's into restorations (back to original) like AACA is into. I'm wondering why he posted here.

37 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

Doesn't sound like he's into restorations (back to original) like AACA is into. I'm wondering why he posted here.

I am into restorations, I just don’t have the budget for full perfect restorations. So I make do, and just make it as nice as I can. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rata Road said:

Will it fit in your garage? It looks long.

I like it, lots of car for 4k.

After remeasuring, it might actually *just* fit in my little shop. If it get it right up against the wall it’ll have a half a foot of clearance from the door I believe. Enough to store it anyway, working on it would be a bit tight though. 

It’s not about “full” restoration. There is no restoration, of any sort, in this car’s immediate future. I agree with you that its future is a rod. The money put into that interior so doomed it.

If you like it go ahead, but don’t look for admiration of the car from a board about original cars. A damaged original interior would be an upgrade to someone considering restoration 

You seem to have a clear view of what it is and isn’t.  

Storing it inside is a VERY big deal, so even if you had to back it out partially to work on it, I’d strongly recommend the inside storage option.  

The interior is not something I’d have chosen and it will likely make the future market for the car very limited.  As a money maker, this is not the car, but if you love it and will have fun with it, the price doesn’t seem crazy. I’d hit him with a lower number and see what happens.  There won’t be a line of other bidders.