What car is this?

bivar

It looks like theyre surveying some WWI wreckage. Any idea what country the license plate is from?

LHD 1917 D34 for comparison.

My Grandfather was 22 years old and working at the Buick plant in Flint, MI. when this car was built, and by then he already had 6 years seniority!

15455841745_c55b057ae6_b.jpg

Edited by dustycrusty (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 9/23/2024 at 11:57 AM, dustycrusty said:

It looks like theyre surveying some WWI wreckage. Any idea what country the license plate is from?

LHD 1917 D34 for comparison.

My Grandfather was 22 years old and working at the Buick plant in Flint, MI. when this car was built, and by then he already had 6 years seniority!

15455841745_c55b057ae6_b.jpg

Well your family history beat our family history. Congratulations. Our Grandpa Hawke started at The Buick in 1913.

I believe that the car in question is a 1917 Buick Model D-35 because of the short hood and the flat fenders.  Towards the end of 1917 and for the 1918 year the model change was arched/crowned fenders from what I have read and seen.

• Like 2

"Well your family history beat our family history. Congratulations. Our Grandpa Hawke started at The Buick in 1913."

I have to say it: I wonder if they knew each other?

Whenever someone was visiting here (Flint) from the south or out west that was always the question you got asked.

Them: "Where do you work?"

Me: "General Motors."

Them (not having any concept of how big a multi-state and world-wide organization G.M was in its heyday): "Oh, my uncle Pete works for G.M. too, skinny guy with a beard, you must know him!"

My Gramps might have had a few years on yours senority wise, but that really didnt mean anything until after Feb., 1937...

• Like 1