1949 Roadmaster Sedanet: Lining Trunk Floor

SBRMD

How have you all approached this when re-lining the trunk?  That trunk fabric sure is thin and seemingly vulnerable, and in my car, it's essentially laying over the sort-of rough factory sound-deadening material glued to the floor.  My interior guy is duplicating the side and forward boards, but we're scratching our heads a little about the floor.  Dynamat with Fabric glued over it?

Thanks to all it advance.

Riiight,  I took my 1949 Sedanette to an interior restoration shop and unbeknownst to me, he used a thin but sturdy cardboard or fiber board on the floor and wrapped it with the thin reproduction cloth I got from SMS,  It worked out well.Perhaps not factory stock but there was no way that thin material would look right laid on the metal trunk floor.  It looks crisp now.  send me an email and I can send you a video I have.  I want to do this on mu 76c which is raw.

IMG_9060.jpg

Edited by Dan O (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thanks for the help guys, incorporating your advice(s).

Related question:  Is the spare supposed to sit toward the passenger side of the trunk floor, or more toward the center?  I had thought the former, and that's where my car's spare has been in my sort of messy unrestored trunk.  Dan, I notice yours is more toward the center.  Anybody out there who can show us any shots of the inside of your '49 Sedanet trunks, Roady or Super?

Edited by SBRMD (see edit history)

I can say that the mounting hardware for the spare is toward the passenger side. There’s a raised doo dad  with a nut fixed into it. I have never found a proper spare tire hardware to screw or bolt to put  into it though.  If anybody has one, I’d love to buy one. But the whole spare should be jammed over onto the right passenger side area.

I spoke to my upholstery man and he told me he used thin luan plywood (also called lauan plywood) for the floor and covered it in the SMS repro cloth to give it a better base/floor.  Available at Lowe's I think.  On the curved sides he laid down and glued jute paddingin place.  He then glued the repro fabric over the jute padding.  The side boards are another cardboard covered in vinyl material.   The original filler boards had a sort of leather texture pressed into the cardboard was brown.

All the fabric on the floor and sloping sides is the same with a sort of link pattern to it in dark brown.  Zoom in and you can see it. The original was heavier, closer to burlap.  Also, the big bolt(s) and 2" washer(s) on the trunk floor seem to have been put in place over the floor fabric and showed; the ones I have seen with any paint remaining were primer red.  Mine got covered over.

Edited by Dan O (see edit history)