might be wrong dipstick

timecapsule

I recently bought a mid 60's chevy 292.  It didn't take long to notice that not only was the dipstick tube lose, and would easily pull out but that it seemed awefully long.  I have a late 60's chevy 250 in one of my cars and the dipstick tube is about 5 1/2" long.  The tube that came with the 292 is about 13 inches long.  After further comparison the dipstick goes much deeper into the oil pan on the 292.  So realizing this, after doing an oil change, I put 6 quarts in the block, then I checked the dipstick and it shows that it is about 1/8" below the add mark ( see white arrow in pic).  When comparing the dipsticks the distance between the full and add mark is greater on the one that came with the 292.  The oil level with 6 quarts in the pan, makes it about 1 1/8" below the full mark.

My intension is to cut 1 1/8" off the top of the long 13" tube.  This should set the oil level in the proper place.  The only variable I won't be able to account for is how accurate the add mark will be.  Which really doesn't matter to me because in the past if the oil level gets to about half a quart below full in any of my cars I always top it off anyways.  If I wanted to be accurate, once I get the full mark to coinside with 6 quarts of oil.  I could always drain all the oil out and then add 5 quarts of oil so I'll know where the add mark should be.

20240916_132111.jpg

20240907_160008.jpg

The dipstick tube length is a function of the vehicle the engine was installed in. I can see, for example, that something like a G-series van would require a longer tube and dipstick to make access easy, as compared to a pickup. Now, whether or not the dipstick and tube are the correct match is a different question.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

The dipstick tube length is a function of the vehicle the engine was installed in. I can see, for example, that something like a G-series van would require a longer tube and dipstick to make access easy, as compared to a pickup.

👍

And the 194/230/250 in a Chevy II is really short! You can reach over the fender easily.

• Like 1

Both of you fellas have missed the point that I'm trying to make.   Yes what you have both have mentioned is true, and quite obvious.  The issue here is the differences, inside the cavity of the oil pan on the dipsticks.  

I'm hoping nobody will bring up the fact that the 292 oil pan is deeper, because that also has nothing to do with the issue.  In the second picture I have an arrow pointing to the point where both dipsticks enter the cavity of the oil pan.  Not accounting for the thickness of the block.  The first picture is a close up of the second picture at the ends of the dipsticks.  

The distance between the full and add marks on the two dipsticks are quite different.  Knowing that the shorter dipstick is indeed from a 250, also knowing that the length and width of the oil pan where it meets the block is the same on the 250 and the 292, then that tells me that the long dipstick would be from an engine that has an oil pan that is narrower, or shorter, or both at the top where it meets the block.  Meaning that one quart of oil would make a mark for a longer distance on the dipstick. 

We just had a similar conversation on another web site about someone replacing the stock oil pan on a small block Chevy with an aftermarket oil pan. He added 8 quarts and the dipstick just saw a tip of the oil and the engine originally took 5 quarts. Someone with Chevrolet knowledge pointed out that there was something like two dozen different dipsticks used on various Chevrolet engines. I would recommend purchasing the correct dipstick for your engine from a Chevrolet dealer and that should cure your issue. Why guess at something so important as oil level?

4 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

We just had a similar conversation on another web site about someone replacing the stock oil pan on a small block Chevy with an aftermarket oil pan. He added 8 quarts and the dipstick just saw a tip of the oil and the engine originally took 5 quarts. Someone with Chevrolet knowledge pointed out that there was something like two dozen different dipsticks used on various Chevrolet engines. I would recommend purchasing the correct dipstick for your engine from a Chevrolet dealer and that should cure your issue. Why guess at something so important as oil level?

With 6 quarts (oil capacity of this particular engine) in the oil pan, and a clear mark on the dipstick as to the level of the oil, by scribing a new mark at the point on the dipstick with a dremel cut off blade, how is that guessing?  There are a couple ways of doing that.  Marking on the opposite side and grinding the old marks off.  Or cutting several inches off the dipstick, welding on a new length of steel the same dimensions and putting new marks on that new section.  Replacing it would be a hair pulling episode. There are many many different dipsticks out there. about 99% of them would be made in Chine.  Need I say more. 

This brings up another thought.  Dipsticks made in Chine might have calibrated marks on them to reflect litres and not quarts.  

11 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

I would recommend purchasing the correct dipstick for your engine from a Chevrolet dealer and that should cure your issue. Why guess at something so important as oil level?

Most of the engines we work on here that are AACA types are no longer in the go to the dealer and get a dipstick. 😉 He couldn't even get an oil pan gasket for this engine. (Earlier thread). 

I note the 292 and 250 dipstick are laying side by side and the distance between ADD and FULL are different. This leads me to believe the 292 dipstick goes into the block at more of an angle compared to the 250 engine. OH, Wait, or the design of the pan makes the "quart" below the FULL mark "taller". Well, one or the other.    As you say, the important reading is FULL, and ADD (especially on a 6 quart engine)  is the point where oil should be added (quart or slightly more than a quart not a big deal). Just like the difference between a quart and a liter is not a big deal. 😁

If you are certain this oil pan was designed to hold 6 quarts (6 with or w/o filter involved in holding oil?) then your method of cutting the tube and remarking the stick is a good one. 👍

So you think the tube and stick you have are not original to this engine?

China is the largest steel producing country on this planet. 

6 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

Most of the engines we work on here that are AACA types are no longer in the go to the dealer and get a dipstick. 😉 He couldn't even get an oil pan gasket for this engine. (Earlier thread). 

I note the 292 and 250 dipstick are laying side by side and the distance between ADD and FULL are different. This leads me to believe the 292 dipstick goes into the block at more of an angle compared to the 250 engine. OH, Wait, or the design of the pan makes the "quart" below the FULL mark "taller". Well, one or the other.    As you say, the important reading is FULL, and ADD (especially on a 6 quart engine)  is the point where oil should be added (quart or slightly more than a quart not a big deal). Just like the difference between a quart and a liter is not a big deal. 😁

If you are certain this oil pan was designed to hold 6 quarts (6 with or w/o filter involved in holding oil?) then your method of cutting the tube and remarking the stick is a good one. 👍

So you think the tube and stick you have are not original to this engine?

China is the largest steel producing country on this planet. 

I'd have to say that the angle of the dipsticks entering the pan through the block base would be the same, just by observation of the two enignes that I have.  As for the distance between the fill and add mark, I can see myself wearing out my welcome with all my friends older cars by asking to see and measure the dipstick marks 😁

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, timecapsule said:

This brings up another thought.  Dipsticks made in Chine might have calibrated marks on them to reflect litres and not quarts.  

One quart pretty well aproximates to one litre, so shouldn't be a concern.