Marian-Handley and Marian Owners

Well, that's interesting. Was the Marion Handley car manufactured in Lititz? Lititz is a pretty small (pretty, but small) town just north of Lancaster, PA.  At the turn of the 20th century, the area would have been lovely farming country. It will be fun to learn more about this special car.

• Thanks 1

Another USA brand I had never heard of.  With a production of 2081 will not be many left

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion-Handley

The Marion-Handley was an automobile built in Jackson, Michigan by the Mutual Motors Corporation from 1916 to 1918.[1]

History

Mutual Motors Corporation was formed by combining the Imperial Automobile Company and Marion Motor Car Company. The Imperial was discontinued and the Marion became the Marion-Handley.[2]

Two models were available, a touring car and a four-seater roadster. The 6-40 model was built on a 10 ft (3,000 mm) wheelbase, and the 6-60 was offered with a 10 ft 5 in (3,180 mm) wheelbase. The Marion-Handley was an assembled car equipped with a Continental six-cylinder engine. Wooden artillery wheels were standard equipment on the touring car, but the roadster model offered wire wheels as an option. Factory price in 1917 was $1,575, equivalent to $37,456 in 2023. Mutual Motors ended production in 1918 after 2,081 cars had been produced. The factory was sold in 1919.[2][1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion_(automobile)

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The Lititz dealer sold many auto brands from what I have found.  They were not made here.  The dealer got a lot of attention for his parade advertising car that was shaped like an airplane.  I think that one was a Scripps- Booth.  Here’s a postcard I have from the dealership 

2F7DD98D-6ED5-4E5A-B6BB-7A0B8492D77C.jpeg

F8FF8995-5280-4183-8E1C-56B9F58D0291.jpeg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, motoringicons said:

Ella Sharp Museum in Jackson, Michigan has a nicely restored 1916 Marion touring car in their collection. This car was built in Jackson, Michigan. 

This is the only Marian I have found. I have not been able to find a Marian-Handley. The one I have is the only one I know about. Hopefully I can find someone who has one.

There was a woman on this forum last December who said that her husband had died, leaving her with a Marion-Handley in pieces.  She was only on for a few weeks.  does anyone know the person, or what happened to the car?  She went by "My Husband Thomas" and said she'd post pictures but never did.  Maybe the car found a new home?   Peter 

From my copy of the December 1916 Automobile Trade Journal.  It has a section highlighting the cars for 1917.  Note there are two Marion-Handley cars shown table in the center is a bit tough to read but lists information about the car’s engine and other features.  Decoding table listed in second picture.

IMG_4797.jpeg

IMG_4798.jpeg

• Like 1

• fsnooks changed the title to Marian-Handley and Marian Owners