1928 72 cowl vent

It seems pretty straight forward, although I admit it took me 3 or 4 tries to get mine assembled properly.

The bracket bolts to the vent via the 3 corresponding holes. To determine which way it faces(and on inside or outside of vent), set a thin rubber/cork gasket on cowl (or anything to protect paint finish) and set vent in place (and tape it so it does not move) with even gap and flush with cowl. Then look at resulting placement under dash and determine orientation of bracket based on where the anchor brackets are that it fastens to. They should be welded to underside of cowl. Once orientation is figured out, you may be able to remove vent and loosely bolt bracket to vent in proper orientation and reinsert vent into cowl and again confirm an even gap. It appears the long rod acts as an axle, going through both end holes and thru the clips welded to u/s cowl and secured with small cotter pins. The bolt with square nut may not be in correct place and would appear to be too large for what is required here. In my '31, the lever handle was secured to the vent by a separate clip. It seems to me there should be a couple of additional pieces, a spring, and a lever for opening/closing. I'm showing pics of mine, although different, general operation is the same. Note mine has a three piece lever mechanism with a couple of notches on one piece so vent can be opened in 3 positions. Hope this is some help. 

IMG_9391.JPG

IMG_9390.JPG

IMG_9389.JPG

IMG_9388.JPG

Gunsmoke. That is of tremendious help. I think my problem lies with the U shaped bracket. If you look on the left side there is the roller that holds it open on the track. I think the painter just attached it there to be able to paint it and not lose it.

It looks to me like round bar is used as a hinge and connects to the brackets on the underside of the cowl. There are 3 drilled holes that look to be for cotter pins, 2 to hold the hing bar in place and one to hold the roller.

I will send something after I play with it awhile.

72 vent.jpeg

Gunsmoke,

Success.

Just need a spring and a drain hose.

Had to take the paint off the rod to get it to fit in the holes.

Does it have a gasket?

72 vent open.jpeg

72 vent closed.jpeg

72 vent inside.jpeg

72 vent inside2.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice fit, I understand they had a thin soft rubber gasket, secures vent in one spot and prevents rattling. Thickness of gasket is determined by clearance when vent is flush with top of cowl, in my case, less than 1/8". Ideally gasket should be slightly depressed when vent is fully closed. Rubber gasket goes in the groove in the vent housing, with a hole where drain is. Nice work. The spring fits to end of that dangling piece and either goes to the bracket welded to the underside of cowl, or perhaps the extra hole in pivot rod.  

• 2 weeks later...