Knowledge Share: Is this a RR or a Bentley?

I believe this "field find" is either a Bentley 3.5 or a Rolls Phantom II, but I can't find make/model brand marks-they're rusted out or I don't know where to look. Plus, I am not familiar with the different body makers of the time, and I haven't found any exact look-likes online. (The steering wheel column, for example, doesn't descend as to the floor at the angle I'd expect, instead going into the dash. Likewise, I can't tell how much the frame was otherwise modified after the original bodywork was complete.)

So, I figured there was no better forum in the world to ask than this one. Could I ask for your help in identifying this car?

As a first-time poster and long-time enthusiast, I am grateful in advance for speculations, knowledge, and your time.

Screenshot_20240815-151211~3.png

Screenshot_20240815-151225~2.png

Screenshot_20240815-151244~2.png

Seeing how it is a left hand drive I doubt it is a Bentley.  If it is a Rolls, it may be one built at the Springfield MA facility.

3 hours ago, Ohjai said:

Seeing how it is a left hand drive I doubt it is a Bentley.  If it is a Rolls, it may be one built at the Springfield MA facility.

That's probably a good point! Thank you.

While my knowledge is somewhat limited, the steering wheel and dashboard do not look like they are from a Rolls-Royce. The console with the shifter is also not something I've seen on a Silver Ghost or Phantom 1. Ditto the seats.

Someone could have taken a Rolls-Royce body and modified everything. (If so, it's a poor job.)

Is the hard top removable?

2 hours ago, SpringfieldPlayboy said:

While my knowledge is somewhat limited, the steering wheel and dashboard do not look like they are from a Rolls-Royce. The console with the shifter is also not something I've seen on a Silver Ghost or Phantom 1. Ditto the seats.

Someone could have taken a Rolls-Royce body and modified everything. (If so, it's a poor job.)

Is the hard top removable?

Thank you for the input! I agree that it may be a very old, poorly done, and ultimately abandoned attempt at a restoration. Maybe they started work then decided to cannibalize parts and leave the rest in a field for a decade (or three)?

To answer your question, the hard top is removable-a very odd choice to me, and I don't recall seeing this kind of gap on workmanship between body and top on a Rolls before.

Well, I consider this investigation closed now; my thanks to all for saving me further time in trying to evaluate that odd hunk of metal. 😂👍

Neither it was one of those poor quality 'neo-classic' that popped-up in the 1970's-'80's.  You will find that the chassis is in that era and the body panels fiberglass.  It isn't worth anyone's time.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2024 at 5:36 PM, 58L-Y8 said:

Neither it was one of those poor quality 'neo-classic' that popped-up in the 1970's-'80's.  You will find that the chassis is in that era and the body panels fiberglass.  It isn't worth anyone's time.

My apologies for the late reply to you, Y8. (I never saw a notification that you'd posted.) I agree with you though, and that's ultimately what made me pass on buying it. I appreciate this forum because ya'll saved me from making a bad decision!

7 minutes ago, DanielC said:

My apologies for the late reply to you, Y8. (I never saw a notification that you'd posted.) I agree with you though, and that's ultimately what made me pass on buying it. I appreciate this forum because ya'll saved me from making a bad decision!

yes.  What he said was correct.  I'm willing to bet there was not a single RR or Bentley part to be found with 200 feet of that car.

• Haha 2