Electronic Distributor provided with a tach drive gear that is too big

I just bought a complete replacement distributor/coil package that is supposed to be an 'easy replacement' for my stock distributor.  It provides electronic ignition instead of points, and a standard vacuum advance instead of the double-diaphragm unit on the 1956.  However, as I check things out before the actual replacement, it turns out the tach drive gear provided is too wide for the cable end. The old gear cannot be used as the distributor gear is very different. Has anyone else run into this issue?  How did you resolve it? It looks like I will have to either return the distributor or drill out the cable end.

tach_drive_1200.jpg

No, I have no experience with this. I do have a suggestion. I would call either the manufacturer or the supplier you bought the new unit from and explain your situation. It may be that they sent you the wrong tach drive gear and a simple replacement would solve your problem. 

Let us know what happens.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

As you suggested, the distributor kit had the wrong drive gear included.  They are sending me the correct one. And after some playing around, I got the new distributor in place.  It was hanging up about 1/4" from the bottom no matter how I tried it, but at the tech's suggestion I tried the old one and had the same issue.  Something must have been out of kilter, but after some more playing around, I was able to get the new distributor in place. The secondary vacuum diaphragm on the original distributor is obviously ruptured, as I was able to suck and blow through the line. I have plugged the secondary feed from the carburetor and added a hose outlet where the main vacuum port connected to the distributor.  I will connect it to the new distributor with some vacuum hose. And I plan to eventually get the original diaphragm replaced, though I may never reinstall the old distributor.

tbird_new_dist1_1200.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I have swapped out the distributor and the tach works fine with the new gear.  Changing the plug wires was an experience -four of the five plug wire organizers were bad.  Two were hard and brittle, breaking apart as I freed the old wires.  The other two had turned to a soft, sticky mess.  I will have to replace them all, but the car runs well with the new wires.

wires.jpg

Edited by Bob Stein
picture edit (see edit history)

I am glad it is working well with the new distributor. The plug wire organizers definitely degrade over time. That is the reason a lot of unrestored cars have them removed, as my car did when I took possession of it. They are a pain to deal with and not easy to install, especially at the back of the engine. 

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird