1948 Buick Sedanette, not mine.

6 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Truth in advertising!

If his experience with Facebook Marketplace is anything like mine, most people don't or can't read the adds and they will ask if it rust free. Some of those people who respond make me wonder if they can tie their own shoes. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JamesR said:

I predict that there is a hot rodder somewhere in that cool car's not-too-distant future.

Why do "Hot Rodders" always seem to have more cash, energy, ambition and insight than "restorers"?

• Haha 1

I think someone willing to 'hot rod' a car can do so on a tighter budget than a correct restoration. If the right steering wheel cannot be found for less than $800 something good out of junkyard or aftermarket will suffice. The same goes with any other hard to find parts. One can take their pick of running motors from the auto recycler. Paint can be so so or even non existent, just polish it up and put clear coat over whats there. I have a young friend in his early 30's that re did a 68 camaro. He called it project penny pincher. He built quite the resto mod for literally pennies on what it would have cost to restore the car. Sold it and is now nearing completion of a 56 Nomad. He started working on the Nomad about 18 months ago and its on the road and he is enjoying it. Compared to my correct restoration that is now 6+ years and still sitting.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I think someone willing to 'hot rod' a car can do so on a tighter budget than a correct restoration. If the right steering wheel cannot be found for less than $800 something good out of junkyard or aftermarket will suffice. The same goes with any other hard to find parts. One can take their pick of running motors from the auto recycler. Paint can be so so or even non existent, just polish it up and put clear coat over whats there. I have a young friend in his early 30's that re did a 68 camaro. He called it project penny pincher. He built quite the resto mod for literally pennies on what it would have cost to restore the car. Sold it and is now nearing completion of a 56 Nomad. He started working on the Nomad about 18 months ago and its on the road and he is enjoying it. Compared to my correct restoration that is now 6+ years and still sitting.

All very true.

On 8/9/2024 at 12:58 AM, Reynard said:

Why do "Hot Rodders" always seem to have more cash, energy, ambition and insight than "restorers"?

Maybe because they are 20 to 40 years younger, are not burdened with "life" (mortgage, wife, 2,5 kids, college tuition, a mother-in-law and a dog), and are able to funnel a greater amount of their time, energy and money into their cars.

They may not have the guilt old farts have in butchering grandma's "go to church" car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2