Let's talk chrome - Any thoughts on a shop that will do a small job?

OK, Chrome work is something I have zero experience with other than I know it's gotten pretty pricey.

Have a few smaller parts - door handles etc. In fair condition, minor pits and scratches.  

Any thoughts on a shop that will do a small job? 

My biggest concern is lost parts with quality and a decent price after that.

Any recommendations, advice or warnings on who to avoid is appreciated!

• Like 1

Hi, Steve.

In the “Search” bar type in “Chrome” and upwards of 199 pages will  pop up on the subject.  This redundant question is as old as the website.  Scroll around the search info and you will see.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

Hi, Steve.

In the “Search” bar type in “Chrome” and upwards of 199 pages will  pop up on the subject.  This redundant question is as old as the website.  Scroll around the search info and you will see.

Actually it may need to be asked every time, as the vendors go in and out of business with alot of frequency.  Plus ones that someone might have recommended in the last year,  may have done poor work for another member since.  Best to get the freshest experiences and list of possible shops actually in business.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Peter.

Bearing in mind things can change with time I would still be interested in recent experiences.  

And if anyone has done small jobs like this - I know a lot of vendors and shops that are good with that, others not..

• Like 2

Without mentioning names

Theres only 3 or 4 guys left

The rest have closed up

pm me if you like and who you got your estimate from

but there’s only a handful left

Good luck

gtjoey1314

5 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Actually it may need to be asked every time, as the vendors go in and out of business with alot of frequency.  Plus ones that someone might have recommended in the last year,  may have done poor work for another member since.  Best to get the freshest experiences and list of possible shops actually in business.

Thought the search function would give Steve a lot of info.  All of the posts saved in search are filed by the most recent dates and back (including locale, still in business, etc.)

27 minutes ago, JRHaelig said:

Adding my lack of experience..... is just the nickel enough for interior pieces?  Is that process easier to obtain in a wider market?

The process from nickel to chrome is one tank away, and an added 30 seconds.

• Like 4

I used Todd Librandi owner of Librandi Chrome who is next to Harrisburg International airport.  He chromed small parts for me about 24 years ago.  Like all chromers it was not cheap but well worth it.  Lead time was about 4 months at the time.  Todd is a large supporter of the AACA.  

Librandi’s Plating & Polishing 

93 Airport Drive
Middletown, PA. 17057

717-944-9442

• Like 5

If you come to Fall Hershey there were 7 or 8 chrome platers listed in the directory last year that were set up in the swap meet. I like to drop my parts off there, get a price, have those companies plate them and ship my stuff back. Everything is always done in a timely manner. I've used both New England Chrome Plating and Lakeside Custom Plating and was very pleased with both of them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2024 at 11:09 AM, Gtjoey said:

Theres only 3 or 4 guys left

We can all be grateful that there are

many more than 3 or 4 left.  Along with

others, I have used Librandi's (Middletown, Pa.)

and been satisfied.  They did parts large and

small on a couple of my cars. 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 5

This spring I used Librandi's for about 20 small pieces, lead time was almost 4 months, have used them before and have found their work

more than satisfactory. I live close enough to take the stuff there for pricing and considered that in person experience as a plus. Would not

hesitate to go back.

• Like 4

Librandi knows how to charge but he also knows how to do quality work. Good thing about librandi is he will give you a price and finish date up front and sticks to both. ........bob

• Like 8

I used Advance Plating in Nashville, TN for my small jobs. Three different times. Not the cheapest, but he was set up in Hershey behind me and I could take the parts right to him. He gave me and estimate for both price and time and stuck to it. From pump handles on my firetruck to windwing brackets on my Reo, excellent work...

Frank

• Like 4

I have used Bills Chrome in Jeannette, PA and had excellent results. Very good with potmetal. He did all the chrome work on a 57 Buick for me……bumper to bumper and everything in between!

• Like 3

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Let's talk chrome - Any thoughts on a shop that will do a small job?

I used S&H Plating in Nashville for multiple small parts, including steel and pot metal.  They are quick and they can give you an estimate based on a picture you send them.  

• Like 2

I had a good experience with Librandi's about a year ago. These were brass castings, not pot metal. I also had a good experience with bumpers at Advance in Tennessee about 10 years ago.

• Like 2

I've used D&S Plating in Holyoke, MA (also facility in Bristol, CT) for a few projects.  Work was done in a few weeks, price was OK.

http://dsplatingco.com/

gascapplatedclosed.jpg.e8d71fcef6d7fc1504ec5b0ff89a0007.jpg

Gas filler for my Indy car, cast silicon bronze, chrome plated at D&S.

1941mirrors-chromed.jpg.9bdb28fe2da7217359be31e947a9b4e5.jpg

Mirrors for 1941 Studebakers.  Cast silicon bronze, chrome plated at D&S after they polished the bronze castings.

• Thanks 1

Steve,

My cousin used to work for Job Plating in Plainville...I could have helped over a decade ago. Apparently it is now a superfund site. There are a couple of other plating companies there but more for aerospace. I'm not sure if chrome is still done there but some websites are online you could inquire from.

• Like 1

I have used both Librandi’s in PA and East Tennessee Chrome Plating (formerly R&D Finishing) several times each over the past five years.  I would recommend both.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Akstraw said:

I have used both Librandi’s in PA and East Tennessee Chrome Plating (formerly R&D Finishing) several times each over the past five years.  I would recommend both.

I second that, I've used both and very pleased with quality of work.  One can never be pleased with price of getting quality chrome work done, but one can easily be unhappy about poor quality work.

If one needs satisfactory (look up the meaning of that word to understand) chrome, and is in a hurry, Speed and Sport Chrome in Houston, Texas can give you nice results in a couple of weeks.  I use them for small items which aren't the focus of a restoration, if that makes sense.

The cost of chrome plating is a big reason many big Full Classics won't see a restoration any time soon. 

My first car, a 1931 Chevrolet, I restored in the 1960s and took to tours and shows all over Louisiana.  I couldn't afford to chrome the bumpers, so painted them black.  Not a WORD was ever said to me about it, people were just happy a young person was participating.  Can you imagine showing up now with painted bumpers?  The criticism wouldn't end.

• Like 3

It is nice to see there are still active shops.  The last 3 that we used have all retired.

I know you guys know this but the cost of chrome work is overwhelming.  Complexity of the part, quality, etc can make it a lot worse but baseline it is expensive and should be avoided whenever possible.

• Like 1

I had several pieces done at a shop on Progress Ave, in Springfield Ma. several years ago.

Be sure to take a pic of all the items in one picture and give a copy to the plater so that he will know what to look for WHEN he loses it.

Edited by R Walling (see edit history)
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, alsancle said:

It is nice to see there are still active shops.  The last 3 that we used have all retired.

I know you guys know this but the cost of chrome work is overwhelming.  Complexity of the part, quality, etc can make it a lot worse but baseline it is expensive and should be avoided whenever possible.

AJ we have discussed "buy when it's available, times are changing" well, my preference would have been to do just that as Ulrich had what I wanted earlier this year, nicely replated originals in the combo I need.  The outside handles that lock have a different shape than non locking and some are on the LH or RH side on some cars.  Like a fool I let it sit on the to do list and am sure I will pay what the restored parts would have cost just to get mine done.  

Replacing with NOS or replated is still on the table as I have a couple more stones to turn but no joy yet.

What about nickle plating?  Not the topic I know but should it be less expensive than chrome and if the place has a good reputation for chrome can I assume their nickle plating will be good as well?

37 minutes ago, leomara said:

What about nickle plating?  Not the topic I know but should it be less expensive than chrome... 

Leo, I think that West may have answered

your question earlier in the discussion. 

Maybe others can elaborate on the actual cost:

22 hours ago, West Peterson said:

The process from nickel to chrome is one tank away, and an added 30 seconds.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just had some parts done at Finishing Touch in Chicago. It was outrageously expensive. But they look like they just came from the factory. Took 10 hours of their time (at least that's what they billed me for). Was it worth it? Probably not for my particular car, but it was the only chrome bit that really needed it. The rest is a little pitted, but I can live with it.

And yes, I have tried to replace those parts. After 5 years of searching I gave up.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Leo, I think that West may have answered

your question earlier in the discussion. 

Maybe others can elaborate on the actual cost:

Remember, chrome is "clear". 😏

1 hour ago, MotiveLensPhoto said:

But they look like they just came from the factory.

Interesting note, when I had some parts done by one chrome shop, on the radiator shell, the question was "do you want factory chrome or show chrome?"

Factory chrome is like it came from the factory, obviously, and may have some ripples and imperfections, the factory was trying to output vehicles, not win shows.

Show chrome as perfect as possible, to make the judges happy.

Cost difference?  At the time, 20 years ago and by one of the shops mentioned, $500 versus $1200.  Probably twice that now.....

• Like 1

For those in the west, I learned of a chrome plating shop I hadn't heard of before. The owner had a booth set up at our annual car show and swap meet in Prescott, AZ showcasing some of his work.

Quality Chrome Plating of Santa Fe Springs, California. 562-254-0176

Being in CA, the owner said 10 agencies have oversight in his plating operations.  ☹️

• Like 1