The Chrysler Master Parts Catalog for 1934 & Prior Should Be Easy to Navigate BUT ???

leomara

What size are the 10 bolts holding the body of a 1928 Chrysler Model 72 Roadster to the frame?  I bought this catalog to help me find the answers to such questions.  But, if the answer is there I cannot find it.  Someone please enlighten me about this book and how to use it.

If the Chrysler Master Parts Catalog is anything like the Plymouth Master Parts Catalog for 1928-33, there will be a lot of reading between the lines and omissions. Even with those issues it is still a very valuable reference to have and can answer lots of questions.

I would expect the bolts holding the body to the frame to be in the “Body Shell” section of the parts book. But when I looked at that area in the Plymouth book the bolts were missing. No obvious other section of the various body type sections seemed to have it either.

I also checked the frame section of the parts book. They do have some nuts, bolts and rivets listed there for things that were considered service items like the running board brackets and battery carrier. But nothing for the body bolts.

I suspect that removing and re-installing the body was not considered something that would be done by a dealer or mechanic so they did not list the parts in the manual. So your best bet will be to measure the diameter and length and go from there. If I recall correctly, the body bolts on my '33 Plymouth were course thread.

Body Bolts are a mystery to most Chrysler products. They are not covered in the Parts Books. I find help from others who have an original car and they recorded placement when they re-assembled the body. We bought a parts car to help in the re-assembly of our 1932 Plymouth roadster. But the four door parts car bolt lengths and placement differed from the roadster. So, if you get help, make sure it is relative to your body style. The body bolts vary from 7/16"-14 X 1-1/2" to 7/16"-14 X 3-1/2"on the roadster.

The four door had 18 bolts and the roadster had only 14 bolts. One of these was a stud, not a bolt. It is surprising that you are looking for only ten.

• Like 1

Leo, I have looked, the section in the parts manual that had the bolts is missing in the master parts catalogue that was reproduced.

The only body bolt I have was taken off the very rear body mount on a series G70 tudor, that bolt is 3/8 UNC, it is 80mm long from behind the head to the end and it has 35mm of threads. The head is 9/16 hex and the hex head is 7mm thick. As this bolt is coarse thread I would think the rest of the bolts are same diameter and threads.

Your car is newer than mine, so I cannot tell you for sure how many bolts were used, their sizes and types, and where they were placed.

The photo of the frame you placed today for sale, shows the 2 rear body bolts still attached to the brackets on the outside of the frame, look carefully. Viv.

24Chry48, I don't know where you got your information from , but they definitely had both coarse thread UNC and fine thread UNF way back before 1933 and Chrysler used both types of threads. 

• Like 3

I concur with most of what has already been said. Sorry it has taken me so long that rude 4 letter “W” word got in the road. Measure up what was left on my 28 72 Coupe and the same are found in spots on my 29 75 roadster. Head size is 5/8 they are 7/16UNC and around 2 7/8 long here is a couple of pics

IMG_5425.jpeg

IMG_5426.jpeg

• Like 1