Good pinstripe radials for 1960 Invicta

All:

As I've decided to NOT buy the very pricey wide WW Auburn IIs for my 1960, I'm interested in what everybody thinks would be good pinstripe (1.6"?)radial.

I think that 225s (or 235s; which are presently on the car)75R15s would be a good fit.Coker Classic Star series seems to be a possibility.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

CD

8 hours ago, Drakeule said:

My guy Paul, at Radial Tire (Silver Spring, Md.) suggested Nexens (Korean) 110$/ea. I trust him, however, anybody have these on their car?

I'll let you know -- I just ordered a set (235/75-15) for my Riviera...

11 hours ago, Drakeule said:

All:

My guy Paul, at Radial Tire (Silver Spring, Md.) suggested Nexens (Korean) 110$/ea. I trust him, however, anybody have these on their car?

If it is the Nexen N’Priz  225 75R15 that Diamond back used on the tires I bought last year it is a horrid tire!  They resisted all attempts to balance them.  Unless they were pumped to to 40 psi (harsh ride) the handling was characterized by severe under-steer transitioning to over-steer.  Compared to the Toyo tire that was replaced they are just a flimsy tire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, old-tank said:

Compared to the Toyo tire that was replaced they are just a flimsy tire.

Oh boy, I guess I'll see what happens when they show up...  :unsure:

• Haha 1

Might want check this out with my tire guy. Doubt if he would steer me wrong (pun intended!)

However, as we used to say in skydiving: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space....

• Haha 1

I put a set of Nexen N Prix on my '65 Wildcat and am very pleased with them.  They were around $89 per tire (Walmart). The tire installer originally used the old fashioned metal weights for balancing, but they were catching on the rear backing plates. They ended up using the  stick on static weights on the rears and they are perfectly balanced.

• Thanks 1

I installed four new Nexen Npriz on my '67 Riviera yesterday.  I took it for a test drive and all seems well so far.  The car tracks straight with no vibration and handling is essentially unchanged.  I ran it up to 65 mph without any problems.  My buddy who mounted and balanced them said they balanced without any issues.  He was able to balance them without placing any clip-on weights on the exposed side of the wheel.  My only complaint so far is the protective bluing on the whitewalls is a bear to remove.  I used Bleche White with a stiff scrub brush followed by a Scotchbrite pad and finally 220 wet-or-dry sandpaper.  They still have a faint blue tint...

FWIW, Nexen has been OEM on new Hyundais, for several years.  One advantage to them is their tread specs have more tread depth and similar Hankooks, 11/32" vs 8/32", which can mean better wet weather traction.  I've never had any or looked at them unmounted to determine the tread area stiffness, or the sidewall thickness, compared to similar USA tires.

In the most recent issue of "Auto-X" magazine, I noticed a really nice color ad of Nexen's new line of autocross-specific tires.  Looked pretty good.  Haven't seen any tire tests of them, though.  In that realm, they are starting to "play" in a territory where Yokohama is the long-term heavy-weight competitor, for about 30 years or so.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Arrived in Strongsville this afternoon without incident.  The tires performed well for the first 400 miles; both dry and wet.  Like I said, my only complaint at the moment is the faint blue tinge remaining on the whitewalls.  Hopefully, that will wear off over time...

• Thanks 1