Dealer Installed vs. Factory Installed

TAKerry

I apologize if this has been asked before. I was looking at a 70's Ford car with port hole windows. They looked odd and upon talking to the owner he produced the original dealer invoice that showed  'porthole window install' with associated cost. The windows were a standard Ford product on another line of cars different than the one in question. What would the judging status be on these?

If I were the team captain I would definitely be asking for documentation.  The port hole could receive a deduction as an unoriginal part.

But, you have not given us enough, specific information. Is the original dealer invoice part of a factory authorized promotion? There are rumors of dealer additions in models that would not sale, but it was never factory authorized. 

What year and model is this 70s Ford? There are Ford discussion forums that do mention special promotions like the Cruising Pinto Wagon. But they have never found factory documentation. 

I've asked 61polara, as a Chief Judge, to give you more information, but he will want specifics.

With limited information, I'm going to try to give you the best answer I can.  Even though it is a Ford authorized part, if it cannot be documented that it was a factory authorized option on that particular series of Ford for that year, it would be a deduction.  The "as delivered by the dealer" to the initial customer applies only to factory authorized accessories.

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

I'm surprised.  I no nothing about AACA judging but an original dealer invoice showing it being installed on a new car would be sufficient.

It may be sufficient in other judged venues, but this Forum section is for questions specific to AACA judging and under AACA judging, factory documentation would be required in this case.  

And again, it would be helpful if the OP would answer my questions so we could be talking apples for apples.  It is possible that Ford authorized it, but without the year and model we don't know.

Let me add one: Speaking of an "original dealer invoice" does that mean a Monroney sticker or the invoice pricing by the local dealer?

The car in question is a 1973 Ford Gran Torino. It had a port hole window suposedly from a Ford LTD of the same era. It indeed did look odd to me, but the interior trim was done 'factory like'.  The owner told me that it was on the 'build sheet'. But what he showed me was the original dealer invoice, not the window sticker. He did have the build sheet (along with a pile of original doc's) but without a 'cheat sheet' I would have no idea what I was looking at. He also had a Marti report that said the car was one of 400 or so with such n such option code. I asked if he knew what that code was but he did not, so.........

The dealer invoice listed the price of the car, trade in value etc. Hand written in the list was 'port hole window'. Im not sure he had a window sticker.

So, I am sure the car was modified by someone associated with Ford, just not where. I assumed with the paperwork it was done at the dealers after they got it from the factory. The car was originally sold in NJ, and at a time when custom vans were coming into their own and the age of a port hole window, so I can surely see a dealer adding a bit of 'bling' to a car.

• Like 2

I remember the time well and worked with a fellow that had them installed on his Ford (some model) 

The main issue,  were they available from the factory on that model vehicle?    Just being a Ford part does not count. 

Next were they installed correctly,  in the exact location?    Some shop people think they have done so many they just 

eyeball the hole they cut.   Glad I don't have to judge those cars. 

• Like 1