For Sale: 1946 Packard Clipper Six 4dr Sedan - Project - $9,750 - North Hollywood, CA - Not Mine

For Sale: 1946 Packard Clipper Six 4dr Sedan - Project - $9,750 - North Hollywood, CA
1946 packard clipper for sale by owner - North Hollywood, CA - craigslist
Seller's Description:

Classic Packard. Off road for 20 years. Needs recommissioned. All original and complete. Very nice interior. Title in hand. Make offer.  odometer: 99690.
Copy and paste in your email: ca50fbe270df359196ac72a6872f2114@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1946 Packard Clipper Six 4dr Sedan - Project.
The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, edited by John Gunnell states 15,892 1946 Packard Clipper Sixes built in total.

'46 Packard Clipper 6 CA a.jpg

'46 Packard Clipper 6 CA b.jpg

'46 Packard Clipper 6 CA c.jpg

'46 Packard Clipper 6 CA d.jpg

'46 Packard Clipper 6 CA e.jpg

'46 Packard Clipper 6 CA f.jpg

'46 Packard Clipper 6 CA g.jpg

'46 Packard Clipper 6 CA h.jpg

'46 Packard Clipper 6 CA i.jpg

'46 Packard Clipper 6 CA j.jpg

'46 Packard Clipper 6 CA k.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/10/2024 at 8:44 PM, TerryB said:

The nameplate was the Packard dealer in Reading PA.

I noticed that too Terry, I'm originally from Reading. That dealer apparently was long gone before WW II, but the address that we found located the business near an area called Centre Park, an area of large Victorian style homes, that are still there, but was an affluent area of Reading especially back in that time period. Used to walk through that area going to Northwest Junior High 1962-1965.

• Like 1

I meant to add that the Packard dealer was probably located close to that affluent area, which was "old money" so it might help to sell cars. Around the 50's and 60's the "new money" moved to the northeast part of Reading. Next time I go to Reading I'm going to find the address I have for that dealer.

In March of 2023 I was in Pittsburgh at Rahal Mercedes Benz in downtown Pittsburgh, maybe a 5 story building built in the early 1900's, and it was a Packard dealership back then and for many years, across the street was another large building that started out as a Studebaker dealership. I had a short tour of what was the Packard dealership and it was quite interesting. There once was a railroad spur that came to the side of the building and Packard parts were unloaded and stored in the upper floors of the building, cars were assembled on the upper floors and were lowered to the ground floor by a large elevator (plenty big as it held Packards) which is still in use today. When I was there Mercedes Benz cars and small SUV's were stored on the upper floors, so a potential customer can actually look over the inventory. I don't know when by the building was restored by the Rahal company, and there are some unique areas of the building that must have cost plenty to redo, and that type construction will not be seen again.

• Thanks 1

At some point Jones & Manske must have become Lindgren & Manske. I live near Reading and one of the car dealership yardsticks I have in my collection is from Lindgren & Manske, 5th St. and Center Ave. Reading, PA which advertises them as "Reading's Rambler Dealer". The phone number on it is the old 2 letter, 5 number format, which I believe was used until the 50's or 60's.  Lindgren later became the Reading area's Chrysler Plymouth dealership. I remember my Dad buying a Chrysler K-car station wagon from them back in the 80's. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The car looks to be in nice shape. Kind of expensive for a non running car. I like the styling of this car.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ray62 said:

At some point Jones & Manske must have become Lindgren & Manske. I live near Reading and one of the car dealership yardsticks I have in my collection is from Lindgren & Manske, 5th St. and Center Ave. Reading, PA which advertises them as "Reading's Rambler Dealer". The phone number on it is the old 2 letter, 5 number format, which I believe was used until the 50's or 60's.  Lindgren later became the Reading area's Chrysler Plymouth dealership. I remember my Dad buying a Chrysler K-car station wagon from them back in the 80's. 

Ray62:

Thanks for the information filling out Jones & Manske successor Lindgren & Manske ongoing operations.  As Studebaker-Packard's corporate fortunes ebbed in 1956-'57, legions of the more successful dealerships sought out another make franchise to move to continuing in the business.  Their choices were Rambler, which was showing promising improved sales and AMC was actively recruiting more dealers.  Alternatively, a multiple import car franchises to cover those customers seeking everything from minimal economy to sporty performance.  Finally, what many hoped would be the 'brass ring': the all-new medium-priced 'wonder car' from Ford Motor Company...

Steve

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Ray62:

Thanks for the information filling out Jones & Manske successor Lindgren & Manske ongoing operations.  As Studebaker-Packard's corporate fortunes ebbed in 1956-'57, legions of the more successful dealerships sought out another make franchise to move to continuing in the business.  Their choices were Rambler, which was showing promising improved sales and AMC was actively recruiting more dealers.  Alternatively, a multiple import car franchises to cover those customers seeking everything from minimal economy to sporty performance.  Finally, what many hoped would be the 'brass ring': the all-new medium-priced 'wonder car' from Ford Motor Company...

Steve

Thanks for the update information, I remember Lindgren but don't remember the Manske name. I'm pretty sure Lindgren was still there in 1972 which is when I left Reading, as Uncle Sam came calling for me. So now I live near Raleigh, NC.

• Like 1