Honeycomb Radiator - Updated 6/14 Pics added.

Mamer

See image attached. Best I can find is possibly off of a Mercedes 1900 35hp. But I cant be sure as images I find don't exactly match up.  It was found in a old carriage house back in the 70's in Pittsburgh and sitting on a wall since then.  Is there any value to this?

6/14 Edit: 24" High, 23 1/2" Wide, 3" depth

No labels or emblems found on the front.  Did not notice anything printed anywhere.

0.jpg

0-1.jpg

0-2.jpg

0.jpg

0-3.jpg

Edited by Mamer (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Value depends upon condition - you show only one side the back of it, show the other side so we can see the condition of the shell that surrounds the core. PLEASE give dimensions as well so a positive identification can be made. Impossible to tell you any more without more valid information for us to go by. How deep is the core - ie how thick.

• Like 1

Will do, its been sitting on that shelf for 40 years.  I tried to get to it, but its very heavy, so will need to clear the area out and get a ladder setup.  Thanks,

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

Value depends upon condition - you show only one side the back of it, show the other side so we can see the condition of the shell that surrounds the core. PLEASE give dimensions as well so a positive identification can be made. Impossible to tell you any more without more valid information for us to go by. How deep is the core - ie how thick.

Walt , how will the measurements help you make a Positive ID of this radiator?  What reference material do you have that would ID IT?  THANK YOU mike west

• Like 1

Mike, measurements will let us know if it is large or small, right now I can't tell if it is 2 feet wide or 18 inches. Height will also determine series and possible year as members or people reading this may have a car they can then go and measure and say yes or no if it is a match to their car. Does all of this make sense? I have reference material but can't give you an exact name etc as it is in my archives and along with other period material of that era ( sales material on lamps, horns, etc) takes time to look at . I am an active author and am always in the middle of some story, currently one for SAH on research using motor show programs from Berlin, Brussels, London and Paris and the USA souvenir custom body salon  programs to get specific information on cars at those pre war shows. Walt

• Like 2

It is a "Mercedes style"  radiator but the chance it came from a Mercedes is very small. As soon as it was invented just about everyone copied it. I'd guess it was the most popular style of radiator up to about 1908...1909 and very widely used on expensive cars much later. That type of radiator was difficult and expensive to make. Eventually, machines were developed to simulate that style with formed ribbons of brass. The original was a stack  of tubes, usually expanded on each end so that when fit together there was a tiny gap between them. It was a very efficient radiator but, when clogged (as most old ones are) it is almost impossible to clean. The clipped lower corners are a good clue or at least they will eliminate a number of makes but, as Walt has said, the dimensions are critical.

The original patent was filed in 1900 by Wilhelm Maybach. In its original form the tubes were round and held in place for soldering by a screen. The expanded ends followed soon after. They were usually square (as yours is) or hexagonal. RR used hexagonal tubes. I've never made a study of them but I can say that both Pierce Arrow and Locomobile used that style of radiator.

It certainly has value, especially if it has a brass outer shell. We need a picture of the other side as well as the dimensions and even then it may be difficult to be sure exactly what it came from.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Mamer changed the title to Honeycomb Radiator - Updated 6/14 Pics added.