need info on Oakes locks mounts

Hello, at a recent estate sale I obtained these Oakes locks with mounts.I really am interested in what they fit. The estate had many 1934 and 1935 Cadillac parts  but like normal the fellow  had  other parts and cars. To me the mounts are more interesting that the locks.  Any ideas ?   Thank you in advance.   Mike

102_1942.JPG

102_1943.JPG

102_1944.JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mike patla said:

Maybe but before that happens I must know exactly what they fit. I learned decades ago to know what a part fits before selling.  Thank you

THAT may simply not be possible! Oakes made these spare tire locks both as after-market fits-all as well as automaker factory installed versions. Dozens of automakers from Oldsmobile through Studebaker to Locomobile had ones specially made for many differing models!  I have never heard or seen of a reference book that had more than a couple (usually for a specific automaker?) shown in it. Some lock holders had casting numbers on them, many do not. I have never seen any sort of a reference that identified casting's applications by the numbers.

There must be a few hundred variations to the castings. Researching them could take a lifetime! 

Over the years, among Nickel Era car lovers I have been around? I have seen several of them pick up Oakes Lock castings at swap meets and then cut/weld/alter them to fit their car.

Many castings will fit a multitude of applications! Many others will be for a specific year make and model.

For whatever it is worth? The smaller one in your photo, the one with the key in it? Looks very close to the factory installed one that the 1925 Studebaker small six I owned decades ago had on it. Is it the same? I don't know.

The other two, I haven't a clue.

• Like 1

Here is something I learned a long time ago. If somebody offers you money for some parts take it.   In general parts have little value.  Especially if you don't know the application.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mike patla said:

Maybe but before that happens I must know exactly what they fit. I learned decades ago to know what a part fits before selling.  Thank you

They fit the Franklins that were sold at the sale.i could use some of also and will make a offer before you sell them. Thank you. Mike 585 738 1541