Locomobile Multiple disc clutch material

Everitt

HI, I am new to the form and have a question on the recommended clutch disc friction material for my 1915/16, Locomobile 48 with a later model engine and Locomobile disc clutch that I think is from around 1917 or 18.  The clutch is grabby, and I assume that the clutch friction material is incorrect.  When I had the clutch out and apart, its clean inside and all looks good.  The friction material looked modern to me and in very good condition.  I have had the car forever but just got around to getting it on the road and have no history of what the clutch material is.  We originally took the thing apart because of a noise from a bolt that came out inside the clutch and in the process replaced the poorly engineered adapted u joint to mate the later model clutch to the 1915 transmission.  The modern Universal joint is from a Dodge Viper.  If anyone has any suggestion, I would appreciate hearing them.  Thanks

• Like 1

Not an expert but it may be characteristic. I know early cars had a lot of trouble with clutches especially heavy, powerful cars. Making a clutch that would not slip under power but would take up smoothly without grabbing was a challenge. Multi plate clutches especially are prone to sticking together and other problems.

What lubricant is used if any? I found with motorcycle multi plate clutches they work smoother and don't stick as much if you fill them with automatic transmission fluid, you might try this if the clutch case is separate from engine and trans.

• Like 1

I have a multiple disc clutch in my 14 Premier. It runs dry, not in oil as some did. My car has a 415 cu in engine so it requires a strong clutch. It is also quite grabby. I find I need to let the clutch out very gradually to avoid it grabbing too much. You'll get the hang of it with a bit of practice. I drive my car a lot and I don't notice the clutch much anymore.

Ken

• Like 1

This is the clutch material that I used in my 1925 Buick.  I made enough discs for several Buicks.  IBS is no longer in business, but the clutch material in sheet form is still available.  They may have a new shop that will make the lining to size, or perhaps you do this yourself?  I have a very smooth multi disc clutch.   Hugh

hawk4000frictionmaterial2.JPG.d6b2b0ee181280dc7e7242ed9a9ad8ef.JPGhawk4000frictionmaterial.JPG.caffb5c2cf494a63e6a8e0e9b2cd8c9b.JPG

clutchfrictiondisc-newwovenwithbrass.JPG.7e0c3d6d9feb6611b5a4c2577dda872b.JPGClutchfrictiondiscandrivetspurchase.JPG.c6bb5785ce3f0a6546c9f5d10e655ab3.JPG

• Like 2

I think that Restoration Supply Company in Escondido, CA carries that rubberized material.  I may have seen it on McMaster-Carr as well.  Pfitz on this forum made me some of those rag joints a few years ago, too.