'41 Buick Special Sedanet $32K

https://www.thewestcoastclassics.com/1941-buick-model-46s-2-door-sedanette-fastback-c-1696.htm

This car looks very nice, inside and out, but grossly over-priced in my opinion.  (Expected when offered by a dealer.)  But it's very well-presented with a ton of nice photos.  Even the dealer may wake up to reality after it has been on the market for a while.

Here's the dealer's description (note horsepower is understated -- it should be 125, not 107.  Also, wheel covers are wrong).

A well-presented older restoration that's as easy to start up as it is to look at
Powered by the reliable 248-cubic-inch Fireball straight-8 that squeezes out 107 HP
10,896 original miles stated as "actual" as of 9/06/2022 on CA title
Three-on-the-tree three-speed manual transmission
The perfect car to discover your passion for pre-war collecting.

41_Special1.jpg.820d3abd11db58a36bc36cc3cb7618e6.jpg

41_Special2.jpg.a77881732abaf89b7b99133c3c4dfef3.jpg

41_Special3.jpg.f4319039aec9d217b4d8cfc50f3b4de8.jpg

• Like 4

Great-looking car, good color.

A ‘41 expert might find some errors (besides the hubcaps), but looks pretty good from here.

$32K is optimistic, but I bet it’ll find buyers if the seller lowers the asking price to the  high $20K’s.

• Like 1

Good colors on a nice car and compound carburation, but it’s a Special.  It seems like the coupes that were posted in the teens were a better buy.  If it’s north of 30k, I’d think it’s getting into Century money. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

This car has been for sale FOREVER. I think they started by asking $70,000 for it.

Thanks for this information, Matt.  I guess I was overly optimistic to say that the dealer might wake up to reality after the car has been on the market for a while, although reducing the price by 50% at least shows that they are moving towards reality!

(Also, I note that they have corrected the horsepower rating on their website in response to a comment that I sent them.)

Edited by neil morse (see edit history)

This dealer is in Torrance CA and they have always been very aggressive on pricing. The car looks nice but I remind myself it's a Special, a nice one at that!

What's not to like on this car? It is fully restored, I cannot see any bad looking screw even. Price seems to be very fair for what you would get. We are just living in a world of bargain hunters, myself included. The attention to detail is amazing. Someone really pumped money in this car as there is no tomorrow.  Good for the buyer. These are big and impressive cars. This one will find a home.  If you buy a good running unrestored one it will cost you 15 grand and for the nut and bolt resto you pay only 17 grand more... excellent value. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hans1965 said:

What's not to like on this car? It is fully restored, I cannot see any bad looking screw even. Price seems to be very fair for what you would get. We are just living in a world of bargain hunters, myself included. The attention to detail is amazing. Someone really pumped money in this car as there is no tomorrow.  Good for the buyer. These are big and impressive cars. This one will find a home.  If you buy a good running unrestored one it will cost you 15 grand and for the nut and bolt resto you pay only 17 grand more... excellent value. 

You don't know until you inspect it personally. Those hub caps are easy to find in good condition. My thought is, if they skimped on something so simple and sooooo obviously incorrect, where else have they skimped. The antenna doesn't seem to fit properly, wrong hose clamps, the appearance of some house plumbing going on around the radiator.... Perhaps all easy and or inexpensive things to correct, but how many items does one correct before it gets to be too much?

"Value" and "Retail Value" are two entirely different things. 

• Like 4

Nice post Neil of a great looking car. I was getting tired of seeing nice cars with terrible pics. Having started my work life as a plumber I could not overlook the 3/4" copper ells on the left side of the radiator. Probably the origin of the heating system. Surely not factory correct, but something that could be easily corrected. Optimistic pricing will certainly keep this nice looking car on the market for a while, which is too bad as this beauty should be driven. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kingrudy said:

Nice post Neil of a great looking car. I was getting tired of seeing nice cars with terrible pics. Having started my work life as a plumber I could not overlook the 3/4" copper ells on the left side of the radiator. Probably the origin of the heating system. Surely not factory correct, but something that could be easily corrected. Optimistic pricing will certainly keep this nice looking car on the market for a while, which is too bad as this beauty should be driven. 

Maybe that thing on the side of the radiator is a technical improvement, while not being original? Overflow? It looks strange. Good catch! 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Hans1965 said:

Maybe that thing on the side of the radiator is a technical improvement, while not being original? Overflow? It looks strange. Good catch! 

Yes, I believe the "household plumbing" addition is an expansion tank.  You can see it better in this photo:

41_Special4.jpg.347338b672742f4703f68deb0e287049.jpg

To Jim's point on the stance, I agree that the rear seems just a tad high, but I don't think it's so bad that it's critical.

Although West is, of course, correct that a personal inspection is essential, I agree that there is very little about this car that looks wrong or out of place.  (Who is going to complain about things like carpeting in the front instead of a rubber mat?  Not me, anyway.  The workmanship of the upholstery looks excellent.  But I can find a few things like the broken window crank on the driver's side rear window.)  Also, the look of the car makes me think the claim of 10K as the actual mileage is accurate.

As Hans says, this car should find a home, but the fact that it hasn't despite being on the market for a long time suggests that it is still priced a bit over market.

Edited by neil morse (see edit history)
  • Thanks 3

I dont particularly care for cars from about 1936-1956 but I really like these 'sedanette/fast back' cars. This one looks really nice. As far as the minor nits being pointed out, perhaps the owner got to a point that he said enough is enough. The heck with a broken handle etc. There is always something that needs to be done on a car unless it lives its life on a trailer.

• Like 3