Dad's car has arrived

It was long journey, but my dad's 1947 Lincoln arrived Friday.  It is complete, and dad had been working on getting it roadworthy again, but he had some significant health problems come up rather suddenly, and he and mom are looking at moving into assisted living soon.  My sisters asked me to take the car.  I've got some work to do; it's got some electrical problems and the gas is smelling a little stale.  He did get a new clutch put in and got the engine reinstalled, thankfully.

lincoln1small.jpg

IMG_1168small.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

"Sparkydave",  Just a few things  about your 1st post.   The car looks great!    It should clean up real good.  Is this an  early '47 ? The wheel covers  and hood ornament are '46.  If no one has removed the  "body tag"  , it is screwed to the firewall to the left of the horn relay. I think I can make it out in your 1st.   picture.This tag shows the model year and body type and also the count  in total production.  This is not your VIN #  ,that is stamped on the front cross member, drivers side. This should match the VIN # on your title, which I hope you have.  The Vin is also stamped on the frame just in front of the gas fill pipe,  facing you.  

I hope you have not started it  yet without changing  the oil and filter!!!!!.  A good filter is a WIX 1006. You probably don't know what  type  and grade of oil was used in it.   30 wt/ detergent  is a good start.  If you feel like it, drop the pan( FUN JOB !) and clean out the sludge and clean the screen on oil pump pic up, this could save your engine. The pan gasket is available. Have fun and send more pics   on your progress--- Larry

Thanks Larry, but it's not the first car I've resurrected after a long hiatus.  My MG sat for 18 years before I rescued it from a friend's garage.  The Lincoln's oil and filter were already fresh, dad didn't get a chance to start it but he had already changed the oil and filter so they have zero hours on them.  The ignition system and gas tank were the biggest problems, the points were dirty and the gas was stale.  I've drained the gas tank, and I can tell I'm going to have to drop the tank to clean up the rust and coat it.  It appears dad already did some work on cleaning up the carburetor.  Planning to bypass the tank for now and try starting it off a jerry can since the fuel pump is working.  Dad had thoughtfully rigged a piece of wire to the fuel pump arm so you can prime the carburetor without cranking forever.  Just got the points cleaned up this evening and I've got spark again on both banks, so I'm hoping soon I'll be able to get it started.

Interesting note on the body features, I'll have to check the tag and see what it says.  I had wondered why pictures of other '47s have a different hood ornament.  I know dad bought it from a guy trying to fix it up in the 1960s, so I don't know if maybe he had changed some parts.

If when you start it up you have low oil pressure I would highly recommend removing the oil pan and cleaning out the pan if it has not been done before.  Take a look at my thread on removing the oil pan and the slug that was built up on the bottom of the pan blocking the oil pump screen.  Well worth the effort.