1969 Buick Electra - Automatic climate control parts

Hello,

I own a 1969 Buick Electra 225 with automatic climate control.

I am wondering if anyone has/knows where to get parts for this system? I am specifically looking for a thermostatic vacuum regulator. I believe this is part # 9.798 3015243 according to the Buick Automatic climate control diagnosis guide. 

This seems to be the only malfunctioning part in my system. I have recently removed it from my car. if I have to I will attempt to disassemble it but I wanted to ask if anyone can help me find a replacement before I start trying to mess with obsolete equipment!

Attached are photos of the Thermostatic Vacuum Regulator and the diagram with part #.

IMG_4259.jpeg

IMG_4260.jpeg

Posted (edited)

I believe you need part #3018037 fits 1969 & 1970   50-60-8000 series w/AUTO A-C 

This part number would give you a larger selection of cars that may have what you are looking for.

Try : car-part.com    for used parts (you may have to send them message).

Bob

IMG_1497.jpeg

Edited by NailheadBob (see edit history)

On 6/3/2024 at 5:30 AM, JohnD1956 said:

What symptom is causing you to think it's the thermostatic control valve?

This compontent works using manifold vacuum. Essentially it gets a source vacuum and then uses a bi-metal temperature sensor which delivers a proportioned amount of that vaxuum to the next component (the piloted vacuum actuator, which controls blower speed, air mode door position, heat/cool mixture). Without the correct vacuum amount being delivered from the defective Thermostatic vacuum regulator, the system is unable to deliver its full functionality, LO, HIGH, DEFOG, and DEICE. 

When diagnosing the problem, I bypassed the TVR (defective part) and hooked manifold vacuum into the PVA (piloted vacuum actuator), I immediately received full blower speed and the temperature doors were positioned for full air conditioning. 

testing the TVR by itself, when hooked up to source vacuum, it doesn’t deliver  any regulated vacuum, it has worked before and did sporadically have moments where it worked while I was testing it, but it would quit shortly after. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did you test vacuum port (where vacuum line attaches) with a hand held vacuum pump to see if part holds vacuum?

Can you take it apart to visually look at diaphragm inside part?

You could also try contacting Old Air Products in Texas.

Bob

5 hours ago, NailheadBob said:

Did you test vacuum port (where vacuum line attaches) with a hand held vacuum pump to see if part holds vacuum?

Can you take it apart to visually look at diaphragm inside part?

You could also try contacting Old Air Products in Texas.

Bob

I did test it and it held vacuum on the source side, however when I attached a vacuum tester to the other side I got nothing.

Im unsure if  it could be taken apart and put back together. it is riveted together.  

12 hours ago, JakobBjornson said:

I did test it and it held vacuum on the source side, however when I attached a vacuum tester to the other side I got nothing.

Please help my recall, does the system default to the defroster with heat position?   Since that part needs to have ambient temperature changes to operate, were you able to adjust temperature changes while testing it off the car?  Might be it needs to sit in the fridge for a short period to see if the unit adjusts the vacuum. or blow some heat through it with a hair dryer?

• Like 1