For Sale: 1971 AMC Gremlin, manual shift - $7,500 - Florence, OR - Not Mine

For Sale: 1971 AMC Gremlin, manual shift - $7,500 - Florence, OR

https://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/d/florence-1971-amc-gremlin/7748393953.html

Seller's Description:

All original, many new parts, fresh paint 2022, must see. Manual transmission. odometer: 109000.
Copy and paste in your email: e1deea5ffebd3944adb76a36a7db8072@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1971 AMC Gremlin.

'71 AMC Gremlin OR a.jpg

'71 AMC Gremlin OR b.jpg

'71 AMC Gremlin OR c.jpg

'71 AMC Gremlin OR d.jpg

'71 AMC Gremlin OR e.jpg

'71 AMC Gremlin OR f.jpg

'71 AMC Gremlin OR g.jpg

• Like 3

Wow, a Gremlin and Pinto both come up for sale on the same day! And both have stick shifts.

Heaven help me, but I like both cars. I've owned/driven both and someday wouldn't mind owning one of these lower-middle-class cars again.

But not at their advertised prices. Don't know if I'll ever pony up the bucks for what the Pinto & Gremlin are selling for nowadays. They will always be sub-$1,000 cars to me.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Gearheadengineer said:

I love it. 

It looks like there is something going on with the flashers dangling under the dash though

Must be some electrical Gremlins that need chasing down😀.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

These two cars (Pinto and Gremlin) are great examples of the US auto industry's thinking about competing with the imports in that period.

When I think about the situation today, I realize how homogenized things had become. The only truly distinctive current vehicle that comes to mind is the Tesla truck, and it looks an awful lot like an oversized folded paper version of the Toyota Prius.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

There is only one Gremlin I would actually buy.

image.jpeg.9226b8fc300c8998ced06d8af41a187e.jpeg

Okay, I'll bite.  What is special about this Gremlin (besides looking in perfect condition)?

Robert

BTW, my first 'real' summer job was a washboy at an AMC dealership getting new cars ready for delivery. I washed A LOT of Gremlins that summers!  They sold a ton of them.

Robert

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

The only truly distinctive current vehicle that comes to mind is the Tesla truck, and it looks an awful lot like an oversized folded paper version of the Toyota Prius.  

I was thinking it looked more like a door stop. 

HOMOTEK 2 Pack Wedge Rubber Door Stops Door Chucks Stoppers Wall Protector for Floor & Bottom of Door with Self Adhesive W...

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 5/31/2024 at 3:46 PM, alsancle said:

There is only one Gremlin I would actually buy.

Somewhere online a few years ago there was a nice looking and (believe it or not) tastefully modified Gremlin for sale. Very clean and seemingly professional quality in the low $30k range. It had a 401 out of an AMX or something shoehorned in it. I actually pondered it (but I ponder a lot of things.)

Here's one built to a similar high level on eBay right now from Canada. (Ad title says "original 304" but text and pics say 401. )

Original 304, auto w/air | eBay

s-l960.webp

s-l1600.webp

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A close friend of mine bought the first Gremlin that came to Oregon (according to the dealer).

I think it was a stick six. Had to be about 1971. Black with a white stripe, he called it his skunk.

If there was any snow anywhere near it, it was stuck.

I couldn't imagine the handling with any kind of power added.

• Like 1