Fuel Tank Boiling/Restoration near NJ/PA/DE/MD/VA ?

hursst

Hello,

I have a 1960 MGA fuel tank from my completed restoration project.  It's rusty (but appears fairly solid) but has maybe 1/2 a tank of fuel that is 55 years old, which has obviously turned into large chunks.  I replaced the original tank with a very nice original used one for my restoration.

In the meantime, I'm not one to throw out any car part if it is at all salvageable.  Repro tanks are available, but they rarely fit properly, so I wanted to see if maybe I could save this one.  First step is finding a shop that could boil out the garbage inside.  Does anyone know of a shop in NJ/PA/DE/MD/VA that could do this job?  Seem like a lost art.  The closer to northern Virginia, the better.  Thanks for any recommendations!

Posted (edited)

I had a gas tank repaired and lined by a company call Gas Tank Renu 20+ yrs ago, never had any problems with the repair or liner. Wasn't cheap back then but had no choice at the time as there wasn't any reproductions available.

They do have a dealer in West Virginia which would be the closest to you.

Found HERE

Not sure they boil or how they clean it but they do cut out any badly rust damaged sections as needed and replace with new metal then add a liner.

Edited by ABear (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Try Richard's Radiator in Winchester. I don't know if they will boil out a fuel tank, but they have done radiators for me. The are one of the few places around that still have a dip tank.

2749 S Pleasant Valley Rd, Winchester, VA 22601

(540) 665-0445

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks, I called them.  They do boil out gas tanks.  I'll give them a try over the next couple weeks.  Thanks for the tip!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I boiled out a tank on a tractor I rebuilt 30 years ago; used Drano and hot water until it was bare metal inside and out. It looked like screen wire in places it was so rusty. I sealed the outside with fine-mesh fiberglas so it would hold liquid, then I coated the inside with gas tank sealer I ordered from Bill Hirsch. I was leery but had no choice since the tank showed. It has been perfect all this time.  A GasTankRenu dealer asked me $600 to rehab a Model T tank about three years ago, so I treated it the same way.

• Like 1

I got a quote for $600 to clean this one, too.  Not sure what I'm going to do, but I'm not spending $600.

• Like 1

I have cleaned some really nasty gas tanks with Red Devil Lye and hot water.  Just a warning, that procedure goes against the label.  It will take the tank down to bare steel.

I used the POR15 gas tank liner in my ‘27 Chevrolet and it’s held up fine for the past 15 years.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Axial_Flow said:

I have cleaned some really nasty gas tanks with Red Devil Lye and hot water.  Just a warning, that procedure goes against the label.  It will take the tank down to bare steel.

I used the POR15 gas tank liner in my ‘27 Chevrolet and it’s held up fine for the past 15 years.

I'm using this exact procedure on a 1920 Dodge gas (varnish) tank. I've used the POR15 on a model T tank following their instructions and lordy did I have a heck of a time getting it off the filler cap threads enough to get the cap on, it was really on there. Lesson learned!