Good or bad copy Packard

31 LaSalle

Is this 1937 packard super 8 a copy of a production model if so does it look authentic [ or not ] ??

also would it have originated as a sedan or a convertible

1937-packard-super-8-6613c7e2c4ba0.webp

1937-packard-super-8-6613c7e2be62e.webp

1937-packard-super-8-6613c7e2c22bc.webp

• Like 1

Looks like a one-off creation that looks like nothing else.  At the risk of offending the person behind it,I don't like it.  if the owner likes it that is good.  My 2 cents worth.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hi, in the UK the registration plates stay with the vehicle its entire life?

If you are able to access its history, would that tell you what configuration it was originally registered as?

Or.

This forum has everything.

Chance of being another one?

Edited by Rod P
extra info (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Definitely somebody's home built custom.  Not poorly done but a boat tail is the hardest body to pull off.  Even the master coachbuilders would sometimes screw it up.

Yes, home made, but I'm not sure the boat-tail is difficult. Look at all the fakes running around. It seems that every guy with half a sedan and a chassis builds a boat-tail speedster. That makes me think it's actually the easy way out.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Yes, home made, but I'm not sure the boat-tail is difficult. Look at all the fakes running around. It seems that every guy with half a sedan and a chassis builds a boat-tail speedster. That makes me think it's actually the easy way out.

Perhaps we need a whole thread on this? Problem is I don’t wanna post a bunch of pictures as examples of horrible looking boattails when you know there’s some guy that loves that car.

• Like 3

Yeah, I've been collecting photos for years for an "Ugly Full Classics" article, but I don't want to do it because like you say, there's someone who loves the car. One of my favorite ugly Classics is owned by a prominent guy in the CCCA whom I like and I don't want to insult him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Yeah, I've been collecting photos for years for an "Ugly Full Classics" article, but I don't want to do it because like you say, there's someone who loves the car. One of my favorite ugly Classics is owned by a prominent guy in the CCCA whom I like and I don't want to insult him.

Are his initials E.M.?

• Haha 4

A few notes, regardless of whether you like it: 

a) It has 35-36 senior tail-lights

b) Grille rake angle appears to be 35-36

c) Front/rear bumpers appear to be 37 senior style...extra deep rear is for the trunk rack protection

d) Back-up/marker lights on rear fenders are actually a set of front fender driving lights mounted in reverse...those could actually fetch some $ if owner replaced them with something aimed truly rearward.

e) Mostly its a "period looking, mostly Packard that should be a fun driver"...so enjoy, dont invest lots of $ into into it if you are buying it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What is the possibility of seeing the engine  compartment, especially the firewall data plate and embossed firewall number.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2024 at 2:20 PM, Rod P said:

Hi, in the UK the registration plates stay with the vehicle its entire life?

If you are able to access its history, would that tell you what configuration it was originally registered as?

Or.

This forum has everything.

Chance of being another one?

Thanks for the information Yes it is the same car

its nice to have some background history on it 

Thank You

• Like 1

Thanks for the engine pics. I can see in the middle one, the data plate is there. would you please post it?

10 minutes ago, 37PackardMan said:

Thanks for the engine pics. I can see in the middle one, the data plate is there. would you please post it?

HI PackardMan

Unfortunately i am unable to get the details at the moment

these are all the photos i could get from the cars owner 

as the car is situated some distance from me i have not been able to view it yet, if i do i will get the information from the plate

I am trying to find out what the w/b is at the moment if you know please post

Two ways to tell the w/b...

1. measure hubcap to hubcap

2. Serial number on the data plate on firewall

If it is 127" it has to be a 1003 short wheelbase sedan, and if has forward facing occasional seats, it has to be a 1034 or 1035.

• Thanks 1